Thread: Audio options

Default Audio options

Ok people, I've got another dilemma to ponder over. My 83 C-30 radio is long gone, and currently had(?) a factory knob style radio in the dash. Now that my truck is purring with it's new frt-end and exhaust, it's time to up-grade the sound system. (Being that I can finally hear the person next to me when they're talking). I'm not a person that requires all the newest electronic gadgets, and even an AM-FM radio would work fine. Unfortunetly, I don't have one, but I do have (given for free), a modern AM-FM, CD all digital radio with a removable face. Trouble is, it doesn't fit in the dash. Not sure if I want to carve out the dash, and bust up the plastic face panel to squeeze it in. I'm not too concerned about originality, and if I have to chop to install, I will. But I was wondering about the availability of a factory style AM-FM, and how much cash people are asking for them. Not too sure, but would guess these early 80s truck must've come with AM-FM, right? Maybe an 8-track option so I can bring my oldies out of storage.
    Old habits, die hard.

Howdy
    Both LMC truck and JC Whitney have knob style radios with modern features that will fit in your dash.
    If you plan on replacing the front dash speakers or doing dash work, it is much easy to do with the windshield out.
    Also if your vehicle has window mounted antennae put one in the fender, it is much better and if done right looks factory.
    Your free radio can be mounted easily and can look factory. I have done several and it's not that hard, it just requires some patience and skill with a cut-off grinder.
    Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Good idea Dog, (Checking out Whitney). By the way, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of your modern one, would you? because of the slight arch at the bottom RHS of the plastic dash plate, all the installations I've seen, don't seem to fit correctly at this line. I see Ebay has original radios for under $100, (only 2), but lots of aftermarket potentials for $200 on up. I'm checking Whitty now. (Looks like a buck fitty for a retro looking one)
    Last edited by joeq; 10-01-2014 at 17:08.
    Old habits, die hard.

Default Kit . . .

There are install kits which allow you to install a modern single DIN radio such as you mentioned in the factory spot, go to your local radio install place and ask them (I use WattSound here), or search Crutchfield.
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .

I second Crutchfield!
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.