Thread: tailgate latch - doesn't.

Default tailgate latch - doesn't.

Hopefully simple question. Tailgate on my 2004 Silverado dually just stopped latching today. I lubed the mechanisms at each latch, but they dont "grab" once the gate is pushed closed. Now suspect that the last time I pulled up on the handle to release and open the tailgate, something inside didnt go back to where it was supposed to. Anyone been through this and have a simple troubleshooting idea? thx

Arrow

If neither side latches, look at the handle mechanism. If you've never been in there, you'll need to remove the bezel to get a good look at it. It's affixed with thin double-sided tape, so have some handy if you want to replace it right away (it's decorative, and has no functional purpose).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

And it breaks quite easily
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Well, popping off the trim piece around the handle did indeed reveal where the mechanism is binding. Liberal use of penetrating oil and the mechanism is as good as new , thanks guys !! .... the trim ring however DID indeed break during removal LOLOL

Arrow

No biggie. They're not expensive and should be in stock at the dealer or online. It's always nice when the fix is simple.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I broke the trim ring on my 04.5 2500HD. I was going to buy it from the dealer until I was told that they had to order one and I had to go there to pay for it. Price was $32.00. That got me looking. Autozone stocks Dorman replacement ones of $8.00 (approximate, based on memory). I didn't want to give the dealer 4x what I could simply drive to Autozone and buy it for.

Check Autozone. The Dorman ones look and fit just fine.
    2004.5 Sport Red Metallic Crewcab Shortbox 4x4 LLY ARE Truckcap/Bedrug liner Bilsteins Hellwigs front and back. 06 air intake assembly all the way to the turbo

1991 8600 GVWR K2500 454/MSD box

Ford 1520 3 cyl diesel tractor

other toys

$32 ???? nah, aint happenin' :-)

when mine "broke" during removal, I should have been more clear.... just the retainer tabs broke off, it was a simple matter of using silicone to put it back in place, and its removable (knock on wood) if necessary again....