Thread: Best Dmax replacement water pump

Default Best Dmax replacement water pump

My water pump just started to leak and I will be buying a replacement pump tomorrow. I remember several years ago there was a DP discussion about what the best replacement pump was for a Dmax. I did a search and could not find the old discussion. My truck is a 2006, LBZ and I am leaning toward buying a GM pump from the stealer. Has anyone found a good replacement pump other than a GM pump? Additionally, what is the price for a new pump these days. Does anyone have suggestions to make changing the pump go smoothly.
    Thanks
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

I have only my own experience to tell:

The GM pump lasted 6 months before the impeller spun on the shaft - or rather, the shaft spun as driven by the engine but the impeller was no longer being spun. It was replaced for free by the warranty (12 month/12,000 miles) and the new GM pump rests in my shed as a backup to the NAPA pump (lifetime warranty, considerably less cost) that I replaced the spun one with. That was over 2 years ago.

At one point we were selling LB7 and LLY water pumps with welded hub for the HP applications only. The pump that rapidoxidationman had fail was a GM/AC Delco pump from us. Since his application was not a race one it was not welded. We now weld the impeller and the gear to the shaft on all pumps to eliminate press fit issues.

The LBZ water pump has a composite impeller and seems to be pretty much safe from the impeller spinning issues.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 07-28-2014 at 12:27.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!