Thread: Need Help! 2003 Duramax Specific

Default Need Help! 2003 Duramax Specific

Trying to R & R the fuel filter head on my 2003. I mentioned 2003 specific because it seem the later models don't have the same issue I am running into. How in the world do I get access to the mounting bolts with all the wiring on top of the filter head? Are those wiring brackets removable?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please see attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow

Just disconnect the electrical connector from the vacuum solenoid, remove the mounting bolt, and swing it out of your way (suspended by the lines, it will be flexible). You could remove it completely, but it isn't necessary. It should be simple from there.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks DMax. I am mechanically challenged so please have patience. If you looked at my pic, are you talking about the prominent bolt near center of the pic? Appreciate any more detail you can provide. Thanks.

Arrow

Yes, the bolt at the upper/center of the pic. It secures the metal bracket holding the solenoid. Disconnect the electrical connector first, and move it out of the way. The connector disconnects closest to the solenoid, not nearest the wires entering the connector. Look for the locking tab, and pry it a little with a small screwdriver or suitable tool, then wiggle the connector off.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks again. Confidence is growing, lol.

It is very simple to "rebuild" these filter heads by simply replacing the handful of orings that seal them.

P.S. Add a lift pump and these heads seldom if ever leak.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks sir. My issue is simply getting to the mounting bolts. Haven't tackled it yet. Waiting for a part ....

Depending on how you value your time, simply replacing the whole fuel filter head will do two things:
    1) guarantee no leaks
    2) go considerably quicker as a repair

and you get a new filter cartridge to boot.

Just another option.