Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I put a second alternator on my 1994?

Default Where can I put a second alternator on my 1994?

I have seen the instalation on '96 and up,has anyone added a second alternator to a '94?
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

I think I remember seeing pictures of a second alternator in the books I got from this site by kennedy. It looks pretty tight to me. I think if I was bound and determined to add a second alternator, I would have it run by the driveshaft. Yes, It does not charge when the truck is sitting still and you have to take the drive shaft loose when you put on a nw belt but how often do you have to do that? not much.
    1994 chevy turbo diesel 3500 4WD extended cab.
    4 inch Pinnacle exhaust from the turbo back
    Kennedy OPS harness (yet to be installed)
    FSD cooler (yet to be installed, planning on placing in fender to pick up air from intake)
    Bet top extendable mirrors.

There is an ambulance package for the 1995 and earlier trucks similar to the one mentioned in the write-up for the 1996 and later trucks. I've researched it a little and would like to install it on my truck. Check with the GM dealer about it. I've been asked if my Suburban has two alternators when buying a new belt before.

>>I've been asked if my Suburban has two alternators when buying a new belt before.

Me too. Next time i'll try to get some part #s.
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

Smile Now thats an interesting concept

Quote Originally Posted by signgrafix
    I think if I was bound and determined to add a second alternator, I would have it run by the driveshaft.
    That
    95K3500.Ext.Cab 4L80E 200,000 + miles; 3 gauge pillar pod pre turbo temp- boost- trans temp. 97 Cooling mods Fan / fan clutch, dual Tstat and water pump, Hi Pop Injectors, fast heat glow plugs, DSG gears, intake snorkel removed, air box mods, hi idle mod, dMax pipes for exhaust, FSD mounted on intake, Monroe Shocks. Homemade cooler lines, H7B coolers replace stock trans and oil devices, remote mount with 2 quart Wix filter aux micron filter, OPS relay and headlight boosters, glow plug extender, and an FPPF cocktail in every tank.

[QUOTE=stingthieves]That
    FSD cooler (yet to be installed, planning on placing in fender to pick up air from intake)

and... there was no drain on the engine. More horsepower.
    Where do you think the power came from to run it back there?

Quote Originally Posted by stingthieves
    A
    I would think you might exercise just a "bit' more tack!
    I dunno, seemed to the point to me.
    However, maybe he could have used more tact - but then so could I!
    Bobbie Martin
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5 TD 2WD- DB2 mechanical fuel injection
    GEP Optimizer 6.53 Detroit Diesel Power
    6.53L, GEP Block & Heads, .020 over, ARP studs, DB2 Inj. pump, GM8 Turbo w/TurboMaster
    K47 Airbox with K&N filter, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 2¼" Crossover, Mann ProVent
    HO Water Pump, Hayden "Truck Fan" Clutch, 21" 9 blade Duramax Fan

No PMD, APP, CDR, optical sensor or vacuum pump!
    Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
    Click Here to Email Me

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejoe
    Where do you think the power came from to run it back there?
    No kidding, ya think? I realize that. I did not think I would have to explain it but I guess I do. With it actually on the engine it places a direct drag on the engine as it makes the horsepower. With it on the driveshaft, the engine has already produced the horsepower and distributed it through the drivetrain. It is the belief, and it makes sense to me that it does not take AS MUCH to turn the alternator off the driveshaft as it does off the front of the engine through pullies that are already taxed by power steering, water pumps, etc.

Sorry to break it to you, but it takes every bit as much to turn it there as it does on the engine. It doesn't save a thing.

If you're worried about saving horsepower for a drag race, install a cutout switch on the field excitation. Let the alternator just free-wheel on the way down the track, then turn it back on in the shut down area and ride back to the pits.

Good Day!

Ditto RJ - 1 hp = 746 watts @ 100% efficiency. It doesn't matter where or how you get it.

I think RJ's idea about cutting out the field is the best idea, as long as it's done in a way that can't hurt the alternator; I don't think a simple switch would hurt anything, but "buyer beware."

That doesn't make moving the alternator to the driveshaft a bad idea, especially if it was necessary to make more under-hood room. Kinda hard to change the belt, though...

Blessings!

Brian Johnson
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole arguement/discussion.

This is all good info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm 'staging' and looking at a 'christmas tree' from the seat of my '94 K2500 TD. But until then, if anyone comes up with pictures or part numbers for the dual alt. kit to fit the older trucks, please post it. I have been looking for this for a while but had finally decided that it must not have been offered until the later models. The fact the you guys have been asked about dual alts. on your subs tells me either it was avaliable or the part companies publishing the part books don't know what the heck they are talking about. I've run into the latter a time or two.

I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole arguement/discussion.
    That's fine. Your disagreement is not based on engineering principles, though. It's based on superstition. You'll get no more argument from me.

Winston cup racers (oops!) Nextel cup racers hang something similar off the back of the driveshaft,is'nt that a pump for the rear axlefluid?
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

"I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole argument/discussion." If you

Signgrafix-
    I've enjoyed most of your commentary...and feel free to do what you like with your alternator. But alternators are designed for high output at high revs, which would be hard to configue from the driveshaft. There's also the issue of road-sand and splash/mist ingress , not a great location for reliable on-road application. Reliability and adequate output at low revs are the (presumed) goal(s) here. The dragster configuration doesn't fulfill either , though it is an interesting option.
    I'd like to have a 10-25 KW PTO generator, or an Auragen:

http://www.emergencyapparatus.com/auragen.html

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003triservice/gold.pdf

http://www.aurasystems.com/techinfo.htm
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

Quote Originally Posted by tom mac 95
    Signgrafix-
    I've enjoyed most of your commentary...and feel free to do what you like with your alternator. But alternators are designed for high output at high revs, which would be hard to configue from the driveshaft. There's also the issue of road-sand and splash/mist ingress , not a great location for reliable on-road application. Reliability and adequate output at low revs are the (presumed) goal(s) here. The dragster configuration doesn't fulfill either , though it is an interesting option.
    I'd like to have a 10-25 KW PTO generator, or an Auragen:

http://www.emergencyapparatus.com/auragen.html

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003triservice/gold.pdf

http://www.aurasystems.com/techinfo.htm
    You know the funny thing is, It was not even me who wanted a second alternator. Somebody else posted the question about putting another alternator. It was just a suggestion that I gave him. Somehow, it turned into a debate on how much horsepower it took and if it took more or less to turn the alternator on the driveshaft.

Getting things back on track...

Does anyone actually have part numbers for the ambulance setup?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Good Day!

signgrafix: Excellent point. I apologize for my part in highjacking this thread.

As before, I wonder if the local PD/FD might let a guy peek under the hood with a digital camera in hand.

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)