Thread: coolant leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default coolant leak

looking for any help I have a 2001 chevy 6.6 turbo 2500 hd allison trans. Original owner. Today I developed a antifreeze leak my light said low coolant well then the trans temp started to rise slightly up to 210 from norm 190 stopped truck smelled antifreeze and looked under there was drops on the bell housing of the trans and wet from there back couldnt find anything above that was wet or leaking. any sug would be helpful. have 195000 on truc did the head thing at about 80000. doest act the same as that, there is no pressure when opening tank? leave message or call 586-246-9853 tsittaro@comcast.net need help. thanks
    Last edited by daakota; 06-28-2011 at 13:29.

A dye in the coolant will really help track down the source, but I'd be looking at teh turbo coolant hoses as well as heater hose/tubes for starters.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Like Kennedy suggested, look for a leak at the top of the engine, and work your way down. Eliminate the easy and inexpensive possibilities before suspecting something more.

That said, these engines employ an aluminum bellhousing adapter that bolts onto the rear of the engine. Aside from allowing the trans to bolt to the engine, it also has coolant passages that distribute coolant to each side of the block. I know of at least one that developed a coolant leak. You may have to pull the engine to re-seal it - or it might be done by first pulling the transmission, and working beneath the truck.

Jim

Have a look at the coolant block off plate just behind the engine (on the adapter) on the passenger side. If yours is leaking, read the links below. I was able to change it without pulling the engine/trans. It's tight, but I was able to get my paws up there to work the two bolts.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...6774&highlight=
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...1562&highlight=
    Jon
    04 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax (LB7) 173K Miles
    97 Passat TDI 200K+ Miles
    00 Passat 1.8 150K+ Miles
    97 Corvette 110K+ Miles

Arrow

Here's a pic that shows where the coolant block-off plate is located on the aluminum bellhousing adapter. I've needed to tighten the two bolts on an engine before to stop a slow oozing leak. Jim

Default coolant leak

I overheated my 2002 DM and breached a head gasket. One of the copper lines going to the heater core broke off at the hose clamp inside the engine compartment at the firewall and dumped the coolant. I had been adding coolant every couple weeks, as I was unable to find a leak. I looked everywhere BUT there...