Hi guys I'm new here and have always had Chevy trucks but have never owned a diesel. I know asking for opinions on the 6.2 in the 6.2 forum might bring predictably biased answers but let me explain why I'm asking.
I have a 1988 V30 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 454/SM465/NP205 and 3.73:1 gears. The last time I left the dump they said the truck weighed 6,300lbs. I use this truck primarily for gathering firewood and other chores in the woods. I really enjoy driving it and would like to drive it more but of course can't afford the gas. I've always been interested in diesels and the ability to experiment with waste fuels and such. I have heard of mixed results of people running WVO or WMO in these Detroits, but lets make that the subject of a different thread. What I want to know about is the reliability of the 6.2 in a truck like mine (assuming it's burning D2 from the pump).

In my internet reading about the 6.2 diesels I hear of people with Blazers and half ton p/u's giving them the highest praise for awe inspiring fuel mileage and longevity, and at the same time people with heavier trucks and heavy tow loads seem to curse them and have nothing but problems. Is this an accurate summary?

Is it fair to say that these engines are best suited to lighter duty jobs?

I don't normally have anything to tow, and I'm not into driving trucks like hotrods (don't be confused, I do like hotrods!). Loads of firewood can get relatively heavy, well in excess of a ton, but that's about the max I'll be hauling.

Would my application work a 6.2 harder than its comfort level?

I'm in the process of swapping on some 36" Hummer tires to help me roll through the deep ruts that develop on our forest service roads and also to help pull down my cruising RPM. With my 4 speed and 3.73s I should cruise in the 2300rpm neighborhood.

Is this a comfortable cruising RPM for a 6.2?

Is there a favorite year or package of 6.2 for swapping?

Any tricks to help them stay together?

Thanks very much in advance for your guidance.

Chris