Thread: Well, I got it

Default Well, I got it

2006 LLY CCSB 4wd 6sp Allison.

Any words of wizdom to make this thing as trouble free as possible and last a long time?

I keep hearing about mods to the emission systems cause of soot buildup. Something about a blocking plate or new down tube.

I know the Fords had EGR issues and of course headgaskets on the 6.0.

I really don't plan on any type of tunes or power adders. I just went on a 600 mile trip pulling my trailer and it did great. I dont see the need for additional power given my present application.

Repeat after me: My truck is a LBZ.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

LBz...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Oh yea the magic LLY/LBZ labeling. I forgot. I know mechanically they are identical. However, what I really want to know is if I get the extra power boost of a LBZ tune? 360hp / 650tq

Anyhow. Any words of wisdom on caring for it an making it last. Do I need any aftermarket stuff?

It is my hauling truck. It pulls the trailer and goes on family outings. I have a fuel efficient car to drive to work (36 mpg). I will be driving the truck one time a week just to keep things moving.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-14-2011 at 19:37.

Keep the fluids and filters fresh
    Don't stomp on the go pedal until things are up to temperature
    Install a pyrometer so you know when you need to back off
    Use a fuel additive
    Use good fuel
    Some would say install a fuel pre-filter and lift pump
    Don't drive like a teenager
    Keep the fluids and filters fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Oh yea the magic LLY/LBZ labeling. I forgot. I know mechanically they are identical. However, what I really want to know is if I get the extra power boost of a LBZ tune? 360hp / 650tq

Anyhow. Any words of wisdom on caring for it an making it last. Do I need any aftermarket stuff?

It is my hauling truck. It pulls the trailer and goes on family outings. I have a fuel efficient car to drive to work (36 mpg). I will be driving the truck one time a week just to keep things moving.
    The 2006 LBz falls in between the 310HP rating it was given and the 360HP rating of the LBZ.

My 2007 is my least modified truck. ECM tune and otherwise stock. I really SHOULD add a lift pump...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Had a couple '06s. Pulled the snot outta them both, they are good rigs.

My advice?
    • Fresh Mobil Delvac and OEM Delco filter every 10K miles
    • Tranny drain (~7qts out the pan plug) and fill with new spin-on filter every 20K, or every other oil change
    • Fresh synthetic in front, rear diffs and xfer case every 50K
    • Fresh OEM Delco air and fuel filters every 15K
    • 285/16 Michelins are a nice ride
    • Who knows on fuel treatments and such. Hard to measure. I throw some in like I do the collection plate at church. Maybe it will help. Pray.
    Let 'er buck.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Wink

John:
    What is the significance of the lower case (z) in LBz? Just asking. Maybe a dumb question but I do that once in a while.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I really SHOULD add a lift pump...
    What kind of lift pump. I see something called Fass and AirDog????

What does a lift pump help with?

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    John:
    What is the significance of the lower case (z) in LBz? Just asking. Maybe a dumb question but I do that once in a while.
    Denny
    Vin 2 LBz

Vin D LBZ

Same engine different HP ratings.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Talking

Thanks John. I had no idea. Never heard it that way. So I guess it wasn't a stupid question after all. Again thanks.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Here I am thinking that his finger slipped off the shift key! This is a good way to help keep them straight. The early 2006 LLY is nothing like the 2004.5-2005 LLY, so is confusing to even think of it that way. I like John's idea.
    2004 LLY SC LB
    ATS exhaust - BD LH Manifold
    Kennedy Diesel Mega Filter & Lift Pump

Just so there's no missunderstanding, "LBz" has no official meaning as far as GM is concerned. It started out as a sort of joke, but it conveys the difference better than "2006 LLY" does...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    The 2006 LBz falls in between the 310HP rating it was given and the 360HP rating of the LBZ.

My 2007 is my least modified truck. ECM tune and otherwise stock. I really SHOULD add a lift pump...

What would I need to get HP & TQ to LBZ levels? I also want some monitoring gauges. Want very mild tune. Primarily economy (yes, I will keep my foot out of it) I drive very conservatively. Slow off the line and roll on the gas.

To give you an idea. Towing my 6000# enclosed over a mountain pass with allison in tow/haul mode it rarely kicked down a gear.

I was thinking Edge Evolution CS running level 1? I know its not EFI live but I want mild and dont want to put the stock allison in danger.
    Does EVO CS block codes from EGR delete without the use of a finger stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    What would I need to get HP & TQ to LBZ levels? I also want some monitoring gauges. Want very mild tune. Primarily economy (yes, I will keep my foot out of it) I drive very conservatively. Slow off the line and roll on the gas.

To give you an idea. Towing my 6000# enclosed over a mountain pass with allison in tow/haul mode it rarely kicked down a gear.

I was thinking Edge Evolution CS running level 1? I know its not EFI live but I want mild and dont want to put the stock allison in danger.
    Does EVO CS block codes from EGR delete without the use of a finger stick?
    I don't do much of the generic stuff these days. I do ECM tuning myself. I would approach your project like any other in that I would do a nice mild tune using an LBZ base. I'd suggest something like the one that I did for Mark Rinker. I will take care of all EGR related issues so nothing is needed to band aid except maybe for a plate if you plan to do exhaust braking. Mark ran quite a few other "mild" tunes and can report his findings. To teh best of my recollection teh others resulted in lower perofrmance, more smoke, and increased EGT.

I rarely use the LBz/LBZ thing, JC just reminded me of it so I played along. I just say 2006 ALL should be referred to as LBZ or you WILL get the wrong parts sooner or later...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner