Thread: Engine Limp Mode

Default Engine Limp Mode

Hey u guys who have the dredded limp mode, im right there with you. I dont know if its common knowledge to what was causing my limp mode but i was so excited to figure it out i thought i would share it with u guys who might r still looking for a solution. Well i was pullin my fishing boat and going up a hill, which of course i had to give it some more gas, when i was only met with dropped power and a 2000 rpm limit. I made my first mistake when i took it to the dealer who had it for three days and couldnt find anything wrong with it. So thx to this forum i was pretty much able to learn how my complete fuel system works and found that the problem was most likely my fprv. i overnighted and replaced the part. NO MORE LIMP MODE. i spent 2 months trying to figure this one out. Unfortunately i kept thinkin it was the fuel filter prematurely plugging, after gutting the fourth filter i had bought and seeing that it wasnt that dirty i decided that cant be the problem. i hope this fix can help some of u guys!
    2004 chevy dmax lly, afe 4 in exhuast, Autometer Ultra Lite II OH Gauges, DSP5 from Duramaxtuner.com stock trans tunes

Hey Jake - welcome aboard and congrats on fixing your truck.

• What codes were being set, associated with the 'limp' ?
    • How many miles on your truck? Original injectors?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

• What codes were being set, associated with the 'limp' ?
    • How many miles on your truck? Original injectors?
    [/quote]

Well unfortunately i dont have a programmer or tuner yet that can read codes, but when i took it to the dealer they kept telling me it was throwing a "soft" code. They explained to me it was telling them that it was losing fuel pressure.(they were no help) ill bet that it was the low fuel rail pressure code cause thats what was happening. I got 96k on it and as far as i know its original injectors. i think im gonna go ahead and get the injector harness for #2 and #7 injectors cause it doesnt look like its been done yet.
    2004 chevy dmax lly, afe 4 in exhuast, Autometer Ultra Lite II OH Gauges, DSP5 from Duramaxtuner.com stock trans tunes