Thread: Removing Leveling Kit

Default Removing Leveling Kit

I picked up a 2001 2500HD with a leveling kit recently. I want to run stock tires and remove the kit. I don't know the first thing about the removal process such as: do I need to buy missing parts that were removed? Can I do it at home?

I have done searches for an hour. No links for removing leveling kits, just installing.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but if you can find the installation instructions, try reading them backwards...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

First, make sure you actually have a "leveling kit". The torsion bars may be just cranked up. If it does, just have an alignment shop correct the height and align the front end. Also check the rear for blocks or missing spring leaves.

If it does have one, there were several options. The most common store-bought kit was Cognito. These may include torsion bar cam/keys, and the upper control arms. If it does, you'll have to replace these with the originals to restore the factory ride/height.

In any case, you'll also have to correct the Z-height and have it aligned once done.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Evidently, the previous owner just cranked up the torsion bars. It is off by 4 mph, and there is excess play in the steering in addition to it pulling to the right. Fixing the lift will be the first step. Thanks.

Arrow

Sounds typical for a tire upgrade to 265/75/16, from the original 245/75/16, with an uncorrected speedo. If your steering is sloppy, it's due for some repair. Probably tie-rod ends and idler, at least. Maybe wheel bearings/hubs as well.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default What exactly is a leveling kit?

This has played out here already so I am a little late here, but the term leveling kit can mean many things or nothing as was discovered by the OP.

Moving on to the steering play, check for worn tie rods etc, but typically it is the pitman and idler arms that get beat up. New arms plus a support brace kit to prevent premature wear and you should be good to go in most cases.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!