Thread: 2002 wont start

Default 2002 wont start

A buddy of mine says his 2002 wont start. His wife drove it home one evening, shut it off and it has not started since. Symptons are the fuel gauge says empty even tho it was 1/2 full at shutoff (even added 6 gal to be sure), Cranks normally but "seems to fire about 1 time in every 4 revolutions". I first thought of a fuel delivery problem. He has put a new filter on, reprimed and no change in the firing. No SES light. He thought the batteries may be a bit old, pulled them out and a day later put new ones in.

I want to see this truck going again as when his and mine sit side by side, you cant tell them apart other than " who went to the car wash last".

Any ideas?

Thanks
    1999 K1500 Sub, Wont tow but what a family car
    1999 Dodge 3500 4x4 6sp Cummins, with the needed goodies
    2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto Cummins, Will make even a Cummins engineer smile
    2001 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 shortbed, Finally able to test the JK reprogram.......

So hard to diagnose long distance like this. Assuming there is adequate supply of quality fuel (not gasoline etc) and the system has been primed, it could be that injector return rates are excessive to a point that it cannot move enough volume to make adequate pressure.

If you are familiar with how to do a very moderate "sniff" start this could prove telling. Often this will enhance cranking speed to make enough pressure to start the engine.

And yes we do see them die just like flipping a switch.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!