Thread: 16 Inch Wheels

Roy W Guest

I'm thinking about changing the wheels on my 9200 lb travel trailer from 15 inch six lug rims over to 16 inch six lug rims to give me a greater assortment of tires with higher load carrying capacity. My existing 225/75/15 load range D trailer tires are only rated for 10,000 lbs. My question is: Are the 16 inch six lug rims (either steel or alloy) that are on the Silverado 1500's rated for a load range E (80 psi) tire?

Hi Roy: You can usually find the psi rating stamped inside the wheel when the tire is off and I am sure someone knows how to find the specs lacking a wheel to look at. Something I learned recently is that most trailer wheels have zero offset (the tire is centered over the face of the hub), while many vehicle wheels have a significant backset. On my 5er, the truck wheels I planned to use would have caused the tires to be rubbing the shock mounting bracket. You might want to investigate the backset issue on your setup.

Good luck

Don

Roy W Guest

Don....good point. My Jayco shock brackets are pretty close to the tire, which might create a problem like yours. Southwest Wheel has the wheel I need, but they're $42.00 each, which probably makes it $200. to my door. I was hoping maybe I could do something local for less money. Thanks for the reply.