Thread: Spinning Rear Tires

Default Spinning Rear Tires

2012 3500HD dually Duramax
    For grins today from a dead stop, I held the brake and mashed the accelerator to get up on the turbo boost to see how far I could "peel out". Childish, I know, but even old guys need some fun once in awhile. What occurred was odd. Engine RPM increased to about 1500 and would not go any higher nor did turbo spool up no matter how hard I pushed on the accelerator pedal, until I took my foot off the brake. No wheel spin until RPM increased enough for the turbo to spool and broke tires loose slightly. My older Duramaxes did not act like this. This is my 4th one. It was easy to spin tires by holding the brake and giving it throttle. Is what happened normal for the 2012 model or do I have a problem?

Most modern vehicles have a brake pedal sensor that ties into the fly-by-wire throttle. The onboard computer won't let you push both the brake and go pedal at the same time and get the results you used to be able to back in the day.

In other words: Your truck isn't broken. It's just smart.
    Had a 2001 VW Tdi that did the same thing.

Nanny state...

Guess I have to accept that although it infuriates me. Admittedly I remember only doing this with my 2001 Duramax and not the 2003 or 2005. As I said the 2001 did not have this "Mother GM" feature and it would light the tires nicely.

If you look I'll bet there are ways to tune around this "feature", but I wouldn't know where to start other than contacting a performance shop (Kennedy, maybe?)

Stabilitrak and traction control are the first things in the way. They can be manually turned off. There is still TQ management as well. This has to be done in tuning.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!