Thread: Banks 6 gun Disappointment?

Default Banks 6 gun Disappointment?

So I just got a Banks 6 gun Bundle for my 03' Dmax and took it out for a spin last night and too be honest, I was a little disappointed. Maybe I was expecting a little too much after reading reviews, but I was ready for the ride of my life.
    I was actually a little nervious to roll the dial up to 6 for the first time. I thought it would be a challenge to keep the tires from spinning, but it was the complete opposite. I couldnt get the tires to spin at all! I only have 265s on this thing and they are road tread to boot. I'm not the type of guy who goes tearing around wasting tires, but I wanted to see what the truck had.
    Now, it has a noticible increase in power between stages 1 and 6, but from reading reviews shouldn't it be able to spin 265s? I don't know, maybe I am expecting too much out of an 03' to begin with? Or, maybe the guy I had install it programmed it wrong. Is there anyone out there who was one of these systems on their 03' Dmax? If so, what kind of results did you get? Thanks

Arrow

It won't spin the tires from a dead stop, or if you roll into the throttle. It's the nature of the beast. If you want to burn up some tread, you'll have to spool up the turbo. Otherwise, you'll have no more power than stock below the boost envelope. Done right, it should get loose until you're done sticking dollar bills to the pavement. Also, give the TCM time to adapt to the new power. Until then, shifts will be sloppy and delayed. Using T/H will also help to get the power to the ground.

If your fuel/air filters are in need of replacement, you won't get as much power, either. It may not have been an issue with stock power, but more power requires more air and fuel, placing more demand on the filters.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have had an Edge box sitting on my dash - mostly for the digital guages - for about 8 months and realized a few weeks back that I'd never had it on Stage III.

The first few full throttle accelerations were similar to what you describe, then followed by a TCM induced limp that was complaining of a clutch engage/disenge timing problem. It took 4 key cycles to clear, and a few days and additional cycles for the SES to turn off for good, regardless of my clearing with the Edge.

I have the same diameter rubber as you. The reason I mention this is your lack of tire spinning performance may well be clutch slippage.

Personally, I won't be turning up the Edge anytime in the future. Just digital gauges for me.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I put the banks big hoss bundle on my 01 d-max with the super scoop
    in level 6 the power realy kicks in at 2200 rpms only making 22psi of boost
    other than that it fills the same as stock from a dead stop until it hits 2200 rpms she realy turns loose. i wish it was a constant power ...
    my super chips flash pack had constant power threw the rpm range
    i think i am looking at a fuel problem

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Slufoot101 View Post
    I put the banks big hoss bundle on my 01 d-max with the super scoop
    in level 6 the power realy kicks in at 2200 rpms only making 22psi of boost
    other than that it fills the same as stock from a dead stop until it hits 2200 rpms she realy turns loose. i wish it was a constant power ...
    my super chips flash pack had constant power threw the rpm range
    i think i am looking at a fuel problem
    Depending you your location, time of year, elevation, and actual ambient temp, this could be completely normal, and the nature of the beast. If you haven't ran it with this in the winter, you may be in a for a pleasant surprise. Try it at or near sea level with an ambient temp below 75°. My boost can be delayed to about 2000-2200 PSIG during hot summer days (extremes around 100° and above), but it drops to about 1400-1500 in the cooler months.

If you want more max boost, you'll have to use a boost controller (Kennedy sells the bomb of these, others work somewhat, but essentially worthless). The LB7 boost is limited by the output pressure of the compressor, connected directly to the wastegate pod (no mechanical computer control), or fuel rates controlled by the PCM. Without some mechanical intervention, your boost will be limited to the preset of the WG pod. Do you have the Banks Big Head installed? In any case, more is good, but too much will have the PCM screaming at you (SES and limp mode).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I was just under the hood snooping around and I still have the stock intake installed? Online it shows the Banks 6 gun bundle coming with the Banks ram-air intake. I look at the invoice and it states Banks 6 gun Bundle. Now, it has a Banks filter inside the stock box and he put a sticker on it stating that it has a banks filter, but the fliter is just the same pad filter, you just clean it instead of throwing it away. It also doesnt have the Bighead Wastegate Actuator. Should I have gotten the Ram-air intake and the Actuator or do different companies have different discriptions of the 6 gun Bundle? Just wondering before I call him and look like an idiot. As you can tell my trust for this guy has dwendled after waiting 4 months to get the stuff in when he originally told me it would take 2 weeks. Thanks.
    Last edited by ross1147; 09-18-2009 at 13:55.

Arrow

You'll have to verify with Banks, because I don't know absolutely, but.....

I think the 6 gun bundle is the electronic end of the package. Program box, pyro, control circuit (knob and wiring), boost gage.

I think the Big Hoss Bundle also includes the intake and WG actuator.

So, you probably got what you were quoted. Adding ONLY the Kennedy boost valve will allow you full control of your WG cutoff pressure, as long as you have a method of increasing fuel (like with the Banks 6 Gun). I have one, and it does EXACTLY what John says it will. It's a little pricey, but how many products give you a 100% return of a promise? And, it's a 5 minute install, and is infinitely adjustable (within your trucks abilities).

Intake systems are rather subjective. No significant gains have been really shown at modest power levels. The Ram Air kit, IMO, is no better than any other "cold air intake" kit. I have the AFE Magnum Stage II, and like it. I got a noticeable improvement, but I didn't use their filter element (I use a large Amsoil cone, dry cleanable). Oiled gauze filters, IMO, belong off the highway, away from daily drivers. If you have a stock/original 2001 intake, it should be modified (swiss cheese and ditch the snorkel method), or upgraded. There are a lot of used kits out there for good prices (Ebay, here, etc.). Just be sure to get a complete kit, or know what's missing. Most of the options have been documented in this forum. A search can be overwhelming with information.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

So, I guess what it boils down too is different companies have different components in their 6 Gun Bundle. I asked the man for a 6 Gun Bundle, saw that it was the same price that I had been seeing, and assumed it had the same components. In the end, I paid 2100 dollars for 1700 dollars worth of stuff. My fault for not asking this guy what his bundle included. One of the many lessons of life I guess. Thanks too all for the advice.

Also, the truck still will not burn the tires, even with the turbo spun up? Maybe I need to take it to a more trustworthy shop and have them reprogram it.

Arrow

You may have other issues, or you aren't getting the turbo spooled up. I can roast the tires on mine with stock programming. The tires are larger than yours (285/75/16). It takes a brake stand to about 1800 RPM's, but it'll do it. Maybe a little more or less, depending on the temp/altitude.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Banks stuff will not engage if you are not up to operating temp. Or at least that's how mine works. I believe it's 80% of operating temp before the programming actuallly kicks in. Banks pays particular attention to providing power while protecting the drivetrain.

JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

These boxes were very tame and very slow to accelerate. There was a built in delay to keep them from smoking. They did do well at maintaining speed.

In recent years we have seen a trend away from the plug in modules as they tend to be unreliable. They also cause issues with the transmission like Mark Rinker pointed out even though a good ECM tune will outperform the box without trans issue. They are also prone in the 04.5+ years to low fuel pressure codes and the need for a lift pump where again a properly tuned ECM will outperform them without these same issues.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!