Thread: Would an F150 Pickup tow a Recreational Double safely?

Default Would an F150 Pickup tow a Recreational Double safely?

I'm looking at towing a 5th wheel no longer than 24 feet, with a small boat behind it. It would be the type of boat with a steering wheel in front, but not a huge heavy boat. So, would a descent F150 tow this rig? Because my brother was figuring I'd need at least an F250 for the job, but his wife's brother-in-law tows a 24 or so foot travel trailer with a junky truck which I believe is an F150, and I am looking for something way nicer for my towing.

You'd need to check the F-150's capacity. If it were I, I'd consider nothing less than an F-250 HD (Super Duty) for towing that size 5th wheel. Heavier duty brakes and suspension and drivetrain are, IMHO, worth the extra cost.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Arrow

Off hand, with no more info than you've posted, I'd say no. Not a chance.

However, much would depend on the actual weight of the towed vehicles involved, how they are equipped for the towing configuration, and your local laws (it may not even be legal with that combo). 1/2 tons, of any brand, have very modest towing abilities and ratings. A 24' 5th wheel is not a "small" trailer, comparable to about a 18-20' pull trailer. One reason 5th wheels are so popular, is the trailer-to-length value (aside of the towing ease, compared to pullers). Trailers are measured from the towing hitch point (ball or pin) to the rear of the frame/structure. A 5th wheel doesn't have a tongue to count (non-structure length), often the pin is behind the actual front of the structure (adding structure length), and much of the length is over the truck (really shortens the overall combination length). At the same time, they are generally heavier.

After confirming the weights will be within weight rating capacities, both of the truck and what's legal in your locality, consider the rest of the the package. Having the legal weight capacity and power (which will be sorely lacking), you still have to keep it under control and stop all that rolling mass. 1/2 ton trucks have very light suspension and brake systems compared to 3/4 and one tons. This means a much less stable tow vehicle, and much less braking capacity, compared to real tow vehicles. Another thing to consider is the entire drivetrain and chassis. 1/2 tons are, generally, cars with big tires and a bed. They are geared and tooled for light duty use, including the frame, suspension, transmission and axles. No matter what you bolt onto it, the truck will always be a 1/2 ton.

All that said, I would recommend, at least an F250, IF both trailers are on the light side. If moderate or heavy, you'll need an F250SD, or comparable chassis of other brands. Even with a 3/4 ton (or one ton), you'll still have to confirm the length and weight of the entire combination is within the manufacturer's ratings, and local law.

And, none of this takes into consideration your local driver license requirements, which is something you will have to address. I don't know of any state that allows towing of doubles w/o a CDL and an endorsement for doubles. If your state does, you won't be able to leave the state, because federal commercial laws will be in effect, and a CDL with an endorsement for doubles is required.

I'm sorry if this seems like a lot of words for what seems like such a simple question. What you intend to do moves you into another category of driver. One that requires above average equipment, and above average driving skill. If you aren't a commercial driver, don't have the experience, and/or use inferior equipment, you may be placing everyone else on the road at additional risk. However, if you are doing it safely, and legally, more power to you.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I don't know of any state that allows towing of doubles w/o a CDL and an endorsement for doubles. If your state does, you won't be able to leave the state, because federal commercial laws will be in effect, and a CDL with an endorsement for doubles is required.
    WI as well as most states that I am aware of that allow recreational doubles allow so without a CDL.

RV's are exempt from CDL on a federal level as well.

Exclamation 2500HD in England

I have a Duramax 2500HD ext Cab 6.6ft bed. I am considering a Gooseneck Horse Trailer at around 30-32 ft.
    Reading the above, would MY vehicle cope with this , my handbook says max trailer 12,000 lbs, (my trailer would be 8,000 lbs) and GCWR 9.988kg, (I would be no more than 6000kg)

I am in England !!!!!!!

Dek H

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dek Hawkins View Post
    I have a Duramax 2500HD ext Cab 6.6ft bed. I am considering a Gooseneck Horse Trailer at around 30-32 ft.
    Reading the above, would MY vehicle cope with this , my handbook says max trailer 12,000 lbs, (my trailer would be 8,000 lbs) and GCWR 9.988kg, (I would be no more than 6000kg)

I am in England !!!!!!!

Dek H
    No problem with that combination. The truck is rated for that, and will handle it well. Any remaining issues would depend on your local laws.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com