Thread: Allison whining noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Allison whining noise

My '03 Chev 2500HD with an Allison trans has 38,000 miles.

I know these trannys whine a bit but mine is getting louder with time. Is this normal????

Reason I ask is that my dealer recently took the trans out to get access to the oil pan on my duramax and whn I picked it up it had a new oil pan on the tranny. They said it slid off the tranny jack in the shop. Is it possible that there was some internal damage to the tranny when they damaged the oil pan? Seemed the whine was more noticable as soon as I picked up the truck after the work was done.

The dealer says the damage was superficial to the pan but how would I know. Maybe I should ask them to take the pan off and have another look.

Is there anything internal that could be damaged when they damaged the pan???
    \'03 Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab, Long Bed LS trim- Pewter, Duramax - stock

Lightbulb

Accidents happen.... but it sure doesn't inspire confidence when a dealer screwup happens to your own truck....

You've driven the truck long enough to know what is normal sounds for the Allison. Yes, these transmissions will whine, but it's mostly noticeable when cold - and mostly during the cold winter months. I can't hear mine when it's warmer outside or anytime during the summer.

If I thought the whine was abnormal, I'd pull the pan myself and have a look. If you take it to another shop, take along a camera to document what you "might" find.

Jim

One slim possibility that I can think of would be the filter. I can't imagine the height they would have had to drop the trans from in order to dent the pan deeply enough to damage the filter, but filter damage could cause a whine. If the pan did bend the filter enough to crack the neck or damage the seal, or if they had the filter off for some reason and damaged the seal, the pump could suck air around the seal and cause a whine due to cavitation. It's a slim possibliity, but a possibity nonetheless.

Something to look for while the pan is off next time, anyway...

First post on the board, but I can't resist...

I would hate to have been around to see a big Ally sliding off a transmission stand!

Larry

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? If it is 2wd, did the rear yolk hit the floor? If it did they may have damaged the bearings in the rear of the trans. The trans may still function with the damaged bearings for a while, however they will fail eventually. In a 4wd unit, this kind of damage is less likely, the 4wd output cover would have been damaged.

If it started whining when the dropped it, I'd do some whining of my own...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510