Thread: Cam Broke at 138225 miles

Default Cam Broke at 138225 miles

Coming back from up north deerhunt and sudden clatter and dead . Garage remove front cover and valve cover all push rods bent and cam gear turning but not cam . Had a GM long block installed..
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7

It would be interesting to hear a little more about this failure deerhunter. Any other info available?
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Default Do not know the cause

When you spun engine there was no compression . Cloquet Auto Service did the diagnose and engine [long block] was installed . Did not pay for me to have them tear down farther . They called GM and they also recommended a long block or complete engine replace .
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades

Arrow

As far as I know, DMAX hot tests every new engine. I was there in 2001 and watched as they ran a series of complete drop-in engines through a hot test. That test stressed the engine enough that it would find a lubrication problem before it ever left the facility. That said, I wonder if long-blocks are tested?

I would be more inclined to believe that the cam pin sheared than the camshaft broke.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default Cam broke?

Never heard of a Dmax breaking a cam, I've had mine turning 4500 rpm's and no problem. Yours is the first I've heard about, you didn't hydrolock it in flooded water did you?
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default Do not know the cause

Had new injectors 30,000 miles ago . Was running great up to the point of sheared pin or broken cam..
    Husky flaps