Thread: The "other" Duramax website

Default The "other" Duramax website

injector problems?
    Hi there, I dont know if I'm posting this in the right place, but I went to the wrong site (diesel place) and started reading about duramax injector problems. I just bought a 2002 3500 4x4 and now I'm a little "scared" I screwed up! Their saying that a class action law suit is being brought against gm for this problem. Any body know about this? Thanks, and sorry if I put this in the wrong place

Welcome aboard!

Your LB7 is a great engine, although the injectors used at that time were more prone to failure, and more expensive to replace, due to engine design.

How many miles on your truck? Have you researched the service history to know if the injectors are stock, or replacements?

Injectors are subjected to a variety of fuels nationwide, and are a 'wearable part' not unlike a clutch. How many miles you'll get depends on alot of variables, like fuel quality, fuel filter replacement, and maybe a little luck...or lack thereof.

Read on...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Unhappy

Thanks Mark, I got a 2002 3500 4x4 LT w/ 314000 miles. I did do my research about the truck (not the injector problem) beforehand. I went on GM global connect warranty site and got all the history (my little sister works for Caddy.) the truck has been all over these Great United States of America, from sea to shining sea! it has always gone to a Chev dealership for service and repair. The injectors were replaced @ 140000 miles with oem Bosch parts. My bud is the heavy truck mechanic @ a dealer here in Ft. Laud. (works with my other sister) so he's doing 4 injectors now, (#5 is shot, so hes doing that side, my sisters price $190.00 per injector, $300.00 labor per side) hes also doing the bearing for the drive shaft and some other maint. stuff. I hopeing I have no problems anytime soon as I plan on going snowplowing in Baltimore this winter (1000 miles away from home, and my connections!) Like I said, what about this other site "diesel place" and all that scary stuff they say? Thans again, Rick

There seems to be more hysteria on the 'other site', so welcome to reality.

Sounds like a reasoned approach, as long as you do the other side before you get stuck somewhere far from home. Based on mileage, you are due - but the connection for cheaper parts and fixed labor quote is on your side.

My only other thought is what shape your transfer case is in. Make sure you inspect for leaks and level of fluid. If its dry and full, you are probably set for a winter of trouble-free plowing.

I have had 8' and 8'6" Western UltraMounts on four Duramaxes and they are the nicest plow rigs a guy could ask for. Barely any throttle input require to roll the heaviest and wettest Minnesota snow.

Good luck! Would highly recomment Kennedy's LB7 switchable tow/haul a$$ tune, and his boost valve. It will wake up your engine, add mileage, and not overtax the Allison.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

Welcome to the board!

GM offers(ed) a 7-year/200,000 mile warranty for the LB7 injectors. No one likes having to pay for an out-of-warranty injector replacement, but I wonder what sort of warranty would satisfy those folks who talk about a class action?

Those considering a used out-of-warranty LB7 GM truck should either be willing to pay for parts/labor injector service out of pocket, or be able/willing to do the work themselves and be good injector shoppers, or buy an extended service policy. An extended service policy makes sense for those whose trucks still qualify.

Jim

Default "the" diesel site

Thanks guys, I'm glad I joined this site over "the diesel place" this is much more informative and you guys seem to know whats up! keep up the good work.

Thumbs up

Welcome Rick. I read and post on both sites only because there seems to be more LML owners there. But you can't beat this site because it has so many very experinced Tech's on it. I used to be a Tech but not on diesels. So these guy's and one lady that are on this site have saved me so much time and money and grief, that it's worth it's wieght in gold to be a member here. And also there is JK, he is always on the cutting edge of these D/Max's.
    You couldn't have joined any better group of people on any forum anywhere.
    And they tolerate my fat finger typing and mis spelling and my warped sense of humor, or at least they seem to! LOL One thing about it you will alway's get an answer to a question and it will be from thier vast experiance of dealing with the issues with our trucks and it will be the correct answer. Wild Bill