Thread: Need Help - Loud Knocking Noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need Help - Loud Knocking Noise

Alright I need help. I have got an 05 duramax with 165k miles. Had GM replace all injectors 14 months ago. However the motor has developed a loud knocking noise. When the noise first became present, I stopped at a truck stop and poured in some Lucas injector cleaner. The noise then went away, but after a few days, the noise is back. The noise is very loud at all continuous at all rpm's. The truck has full power and does not smoke, but sounds like a "rod" is out.

I am 1600 miles from home and I took the truck to nearest GM dealer. They apparently investigated and called me back saying it appears that the "rist pin" on cylinder #4 is bad and it will be $11k to fix.

Dealer says injectors tested all ok.

Here is what I struggle with: They say that they believe it is the "rist pin" because when they disconnected the injector on cylinder #4, the knock goes away.

I would think that if it is a "rist pin", that the knock would still be present but maybe not as loud due to no combustion.

Please give me your thoughts before I find myself in a position of getting screwed for $11k and a new long block, when it may be something else.

I would swap #4 injector to a different hole and do the cylinder cut ouit again to see if it stays with #4 or follows the injector.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I would swap #4 injector to a different hole and do the cylinder cut ouit again to see if it stays with #4 or follows the injector.
    Excellent advice!

By the way, #4 is second from the front on the driver's side of the engine.

Years ago I was visiting a local diesel garage, and walked by a mechanic working on a GM diesel pickup with the hood up (a 6.5L diesel). He was revving the engine and listening to what I was sure was a rod knock. It sounded pretty bad. I mentioned that to the mechanic, and he said "watch this" as he loosened an injector fuel line fitting on one injector. The engine began missing on one cylinder and the knock completely disappeared after a couple of seconds. Then he tightened the fuel line fitting, and the knock returned in a couple of seconds. A bad injector was the cause.

Can't loosen a fuel line fitting on a Duramax injector, but swapping the suspect injector with another is the next best thing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mudchief View Post
    Alright I need help. I have got an 05 duramax with 165k miles. Had GM replace all injectors 14 months ago. However the motor has developed a loud knocking noise. When the noise first became present, I stopped at a truck stop and poured in some Lucas injector cleaner. The noise then went away, but after a few days, the noise is back. The noise is very loud at all continuous at all rpm's. The truck has full power and does not smoke, but sounds like a "rod" is out.

I am 1600 miles from home and I took the truck to nearest GM dealer. They apparently investigated and called me back saying it appears that the "rist pin" on cylinder #4 is bad and it will be $11k to fix.

Dealer says injectors tested all ok.

Here is what I struggle with: They say that they believe it is the "rist pin" because when they disconnected the injector on cylinder #4, the knock goes away.

I would think that if it is a "rist pin", that the knock would still be present but maybe not as loud due to no combustion.

Please give me your thoughts before I find myself in a position of getting screwed for $11k and a new long block, when it may be something else.

Mudchief;293407,

Please keep us posted on the status of your vehicle. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Tina
    Chevrolet & GMC Customer Service
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.