Thread: brake lines rusted out?

Default brake lines rusted out?

Been made aware of what is supposedly a "chronic" and very serious rust problem on full size Chevy chassis in the year 2000-2008 range maybe, where the brake lines meet (near the ABS module?) under the chassis directly below the driver seat where water collects? Anyone know of this? (My truck isn't with me to go look). Thanks
    Last edited by Ian7; 05-18-2015 at 18:54.

had to replace all mine in the front due to rust
    2005 gmc 3500 c/c 4x4 dually 2015 Sierra 377FLIK 14,000lbs
    Rebuilt Allison w/ billet torque converter and upgraded clutches
    lly Duramax
    edge juice w/attitude
    Kennedy boost stick
    banks air box
    MBRP 4" SS
    egr blocker plate and finger stick
    head studs

Was changing the oil a few weeks ago when I noticed that the brake lines near the top of the frame rail on the driver's side near the driver's feet area appeared to be rusty. Not terribly rusty, but rusty... I sprayed them with a little oil.

GM recognized the safety issue. They changed the metal tubing to a more rust resistant alloy a few years ago.

Check the cargo box cross support above the rear axle. Mine was losing paint and appeared to be rusty as well. Noticed this last weekend while rotating the tires. I'll likely wire-wheel the area and repaint... I suspect the warm/hot muffler and condensation during the cool months was/is a factor.

Jim,
    I think I'd hit those lines with "Extend" rust convertor then primer/paint. If you don't stop the rust first, it will just fester under the paint or oil.
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Default Rusty brake line

I replaced all 4 lines in this area. Bad part was the main line failed before it was replaced. So not real sure how rusty they can be before they fail.
    2013 D/A 2500HD Crew Cab<> B & W Rollover Ball, Bed cover, def deleted

Arrow

I brush my brake lines near the abs unit with grease once a year to slow down the rust.
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14

It's been years ago now, but I spoke with a fleet manager who managed dozens of light and medium duty trucks somewhere in the upper midwest. He told me that his shop sprayed the underneath of all of their service trucks with an oil spray every year to prevent rust.

I don't recommend it because petroleum can soften rubber parts, like motor mounts, harmonic dampers and hoses. Maybe if you're careful????

I run my trucks through a touchless car wash with an underbody spray bar as often as possible. It also helps that they stay inside heated (and dry) garage most of the time.

One other thing I try to do is to get out and drive in the spring in heavy rain after the salt mess is gone. Find the road with the most cupped surface that holds the water and be careful not to hydroplane.

The drain oil thing can work well too provided it sticks. Years ago I had an old Iveco cab over truck. The body was pretty rusty as were some of the front brake lines, but everything on the frame from the engine back was covered with thick oily gunk buildup from a quarter million plus miles of use. The frame was like new under this buildup I figure some drain gear oil and some diesel engine oil make a nice solution. Petro probably better than synthetic.

Apply with a siphon blow gun something like this:

Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

just Had mine all replaced. there is a new kit with prebent lines , less the 2 long ones over rear axle, and they are coated with a plastic type material to prolong life. It was also a painless install.
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 6.5 Bed
    LBZ
    Skippack, PA

I wouldn't feel too bad about replacing brake lines on an 8-9 year old truck. I was riding to a gun show in Texas, back in 05-06 in my Nova Scotia friend's 03 Ford 6.0 L, and his brakes gave out. We tippy-toed all the way back to the campground and he had all his lines replaced the next day. All were in sad (rusted) shape.

I've always had my vehicles sprayed all over, underneath, with Texaco undercoating grease and I've never been sorry. Never have had a problem with it from being sprayed on the rubber flex lines, etc., either. But, it never loses it's nastiness, either! Maybe that's why it works so well.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey 21 View Post
    just Had mine all replaced. there is a new kit with prebent lines , less the 2 long ones over rear axle, and they are coated with a plastic type material to prolong life. It was also a painless install.
    Thx, can you be specific about the kit and where you got it?
    cheers

Default 03 silverado

went to pull out of the bay at a carwash, my brake pedel went to the floor.
    got a full set of pre-bent replacement lines, teflon coated i believe.

Description Total
    Part Number: 22932569
    Brand: ACDELCO OE SERVICE
    QTY 1
    Price $54.22
    Notes: Brake Hydraulic Line Kit
    Availability: In Stock

Is that part number from front to back? Neighbor needs his done on his 06. My 05 only has 30k miles on it so I am good for now :-)