Thread: Had Injectors replaced today

Default Had Injectors replaced today

I was in for a coolant flush and replacement appointment first thing this morning when they suggested I have injectors replaced. They did not like the idle, really noisy and they felt there was a lack of power when they took it out for a drive. The truck was in for one day and they replaced all eight injectors with remanufactured ones under the extended injector warranty. All at no cost to me. The truck was put in service in January of 04 (LB7) and has 130,000km on it. It is very quiet now and seems to have more snap. I'm happy.

I had just replaced the fuel filter, so they did not change that. They also did not change the engine oil, the oil life indicator shows 90%. I run synthetic and changed it 3000 km ago.

I'm thinking I should change it, just in case it does have some fuel in it.

What do you folks think???

Tor
    2004 GMC 2500HD SLE Duramax, Allison sb cc
    2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite

Arrow

Good for you! Sounds like you found that "easy button". Most of the time, it's like pulling teeth just to get them to consider it, nowadays.

I suggest changing the oil at your soonest convenience. If for no other reason, they had the engine open. I wouldn't be concerned with fuel in the oil unless you have reason to think so. Check the level, smell it, look at it, feel it and taste it if you have to (don't taste it...just kidding). If there is enough fuel in the oil to be of significant concern, you'd have noticed it, either by the rising level, smell, oil pressure drop, or mess. Still, I recommend you change it, anyway.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Eight free new sprays - at their suggestion?

Wow - next are you are going to tell me that you get your Health Care for free, too?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    Eight free new sprays - at their suggestion?

Wow - next are you are going to tell me that you get your Health Care for free, too?
    I wish I did. As a retiree on an indexed to Cost of Living pension, I have to pay $80 a month for full medical, dental, and 70% reimbursement for prescription drugs......There's also no limit on recurring events or coverage.

Just hate that universal health care package we Canadians get. Costs me $960 a year - about the same as a good set of tires for the truck. Dang!!!

Tor

ps: I'll change the oil today.
    Last edited by Spoolmak; 10-29-2009 at 11:53. Reason: add thought.

Default had injectors replaced today

It was my understanding that in order for a dealership to file a claim to GM for the LB7 injecter issue that they have to find diesel in the crankcase. In the beginging When my truck started preforming poorly I was not sure if the injecters were failing until I saw the oil presure begin to drop 5psi. I smelled the oil, there was small amount of diesel odor. If there is no diesel in the oil then the injecters are still good. I am speaking only about the design problem. Weather they were clog,drity,etc. I would be interested in knowing if they are covered by the 7year-200,000 mile warannty

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by gmc sierra View Post
    It was my understanding that in order for a dealership to file a claim to GM for the LB7 injecter issue that they have to find diesel in the crankcase. In the beginging When my truck started preforming poorly I was not sure if the injecters were failing until I saw the oil presure begin to drop 5psi. I smelled the oil, there was small amount of diesel odor. If there is no diesel in the oil then the injecters are still good. I am speaking only about the design problem. Weather they were clog,drity,etc. I would be interested in knowing if they are covered by the 7year-200,000 mile warannty
    Actually, they require an "excessive return rate", which doesn't necessarily mean fuel in the oil. The high fuel return can be returning to the tank as well. At the same time, fuel in the oil doesn't always mean injectors. It could be a damaged fuel return line under the valve cover. The only incident of fuel in the oil on my truck was after an injector replacement. The tech damaged one of the return lines. The same set of injectors was replaced again a year later (questionable job, in the first place).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Unhappy Smoking like crazy and they won't replace them

Tor,
    You were lucky man. My late 03 (early 04 model year) LB7 is belching white smoke at idle. Still has plenty of power though. Anyway I had it tested and it didn't fail. And yes it is excessive return rate that triggers the warranty replacement. They gave me a bottle of GM secret diesel sauce but I can't say that it has had any effect on the white smoke after one tank. I just got my AZ registration renewal and it says I'm due for emissions testing. That's going to be interesting. I predict a trip back to the Chevy dealer after leaving the testing place. I guess I'm going to have to escalate up the chain to the regional GM reps. If I end up having to pay is there an after market injector replacement that permanently fixes this?

-Ken
    2004 Silverado 2500: HD D/A LB7 4X4, SnugTop XV, Bilsteins, AEM Brute Force HD intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Hypertech
    1981 Airstream Excella 280 Turbo Diesel (Isuzu 6BD1T/Chevy P30) Motorhome
    2010 VW Golf TDI

Change dealers. Sterling GMC, up in Longview, WA, took my Sierra in 2 years ago and changed all the injectors and cups at 86K, without a hitch. Was smoking at idle, though the power was great, and I had no running issues. They tested it, and said that 3 injectors were dumping too much fuel into the C C's. Not one penny to do the job and they scanned the C C's for flame cutting, etc. Even checked my valve lash, while they had the covers off.
    Of course, it could be that things are so much tighter now that dealers are more reluctant to talk turkey?
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Silverback, have you talked to Brown Chevy in Mesa? They were very good to me, a few years back, with my Suburban.
    Dick
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Default GM customer service 800 number?

Dick they have gotten much tighter about warranty injector replacement post bankruptcy. Anyway I talked to my Sevice Consultant at Freeway Chevy (Chandler, AZ) and played the emission test card. He said he would escalate to GM. I would also like to get the main GM customer service number too just in case. I have seen it posted before on the LB7 injector topic so if anybody has it handy please reply (I'll search older theads too).

Thanks,
    Ken
    2004 Silverado 2500: HD D/A LB7 4X4, SnugTop XV, Bilsteins, AEM Brute Force HD intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Hypertech
    2010 VW Golf TDI

After reading the trials and tribulations some of you have gone through to get injectors replaced, I agree with Ken. I was lucky!!!

Had mine replaced last week too. Mine is an 03, just about to turn 100K. Excessive return rate, they said the max fuel pressure was 125Kpa, should be 160. I took it in because one injector was really knocking at hot idle. I didn't have any of the problems with "making oil" or white smoke out the exhaust though. My 7 years is coming up in March, so I thought I would get it in.

Bob
    tufcj

Angry starting to turn into a nightmare

I had a GM district rep tell me today that they would see what they could do for me short of the full warranty repair. Maybe some financial help. I said if your not going to give me the full warranty forget it. And yes I was pretty PO'd during this call. I'll probably start a new thread instead of stealing Tor's happy one.
    2010 VW Golf TDI