Thread: Drivetrain Howl on Decleration/Coasting-Bad 12-Bolt?

Question Drivetrain Howl on Decleration/Coasting-Bad 12-Bolt?

I've got a 12-bolt GM axle from an 81 Chevy installed in my 50 Chevy truck. Lately I've noticed a pretty good howl/whine when I let off the throttle/coast. Accelerate, and the noise goes away.

The noise seems loudest around the trans, but notice my rear axle pinion seal is leaking, which could indicate a bad pinion bearing. I replaced the pinion seal before I installed the axle, and was careful to install the nut in the same position (number of turns) as before removal.

Is the noise more likely to be from the rear axle than the trans? I would think if it was the trans I would hear it under all conditions, not just coasting. Obviously I have a pinion seal issue at a minimum but was wondering if I need to be looking at the trans as well.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB

I would check the pinion nut first, they are known for getting loose. GM recommends replacing the nut if it is removed.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Arrow

The rear diff on the 1982 GMC K1500 I once owned was always noisy - for as long as I owned it. Pulled it apart a couple times to replace seals, check bearings and change the lube. Even installed a new yoke and crush sleeve once. Luckily, the noise gradually subsided over time and miles. Looking back, I probably should have taken it to a pro shop for a pro rebuild. Correctly setting up the wear pattern on the R/P usually cures a noisy rear diff.

Jim

Default Sure enough - nut was loose

Tightened the pinion nut and all is quiet now. Hopefully I didn't trash the seal - I'll see if the leaking quits.

Thanks for the suggestion! That wouldn't have dawned on me until I went to R&R the bearing. Looks like I need to get a new pinion nut.

Joe.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB