Thread: Need some input on pump options for my Used Engine Oil.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need some input on pump options for my Used Engine Oil.

I have been looking at pneumatic diaphragm pumps for moving my dirty oil. I have found some on eBay that are pretty affordable. I am wondering is a $250 pump is going to work. That being said, I was looking at an electric sewage pump the other day at Harbor Freight. Plugging the pump into an electrical outlet would be so much more convenient. Would a sewage pump handle the harsh petroleum products in my dirty oil drums? If not, is there an electric alternative that can?
    I really prefer not to buy two pumps. Is there a way to use one pump for both? Maybe purging the dirty oil before pumping clean into my truck? Any input is appreciated.
    1995 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke
    198? Chevy aircraft tugger with a 6.2 liter "Tugger"

The main issue would be whether the seals will stand up to petroleum products - and then whether the additional contaminates of the dirty oil would further pose a problem. If the seals are merely rubber, oil is going to degrade them over time.

I can’t imagine trying to use the same pump for both dirty and clean oil. You’d spend an awful lot of time cleaning everything out before running clean oil through it.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Kind of what I was thinking. I was wondering if a sewage pump would be different than just a water pump.

A sewage pump may be more robust to handle more than just plain water, but coming from Horrible Fright I somewhat doubt that they’re using more substantial materials for the seals.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Agreed. Their pump got me thinking about using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
    Agreed. Their pump got me thinking about using one.
    HF has a viton seal kit for their pressure water pumps (Less than $100). Used these pumps for my bio-diesel operation. Output volume may be too high for what you intend to use it for.

How much oil will you be transferring at a time? I built a transmission/engine oil exchange system that used two 10 gal translucent HDPE tanks (so I could see the oil level) and hooked up a $150 HF vacuum pump @5 inches vacuum for sucking out the oil and my compressor @5PSI on the other to transfer the new stuff.

If memory serves, total cost was less than $200 bucks and could do a tranny oil change in under 1/2 hour.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)