Thread: Too much power!?

Question

The LLY is easily upgraded and the Allison is virtually maxed from the factory engine power. Options:
    1. just flash about 70hp from a programmer and live within limits.
    2. Spend serious bucks upgrading the maxed out tranny before installing something such as the Edge/Attitude combo since levels 4 and 5 will fry the tranny with repeated slips and defuels.
    Shouldn't the transmission be the starting point? No one seems to address this and just seem content to buy a kit to monitor slippage and defuel as necessary. Thoughts? I'm starting to upgrade and want to be bullet proof.
    2005 LLY in 2500HD 2WD<br />4\" Magnaflow turbo-back exhaust<br />AFE Stage2 intake<br />Retrax bedcover w/LineX...and the list keeps growing!!!

Arrow

Well, you are correct in that the best approach would be to attack the weak points before adding "too much" power.

The reality is that most add power first, then upgrade the transmission if the need arises. Call it human nature... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've been running a DSG Powerbox (VanAaken) on my 01 for a couple of years now - with a stock tranny. It's never limped or produced a noticeable problem... But, I tow on the lower setting (70-hp), watch the gauges and try not to abuse the power. In the hills, I run on the pedal to better control what's going on.

Jim

Kennedy Guest

Edge on levels 1,2, or 3 and a Boost stick would be my suggestion. Level 3 with Boost is a bit close to the limit though so proceed with caution. There is a TON of TQ increase with the afformentioned setup.

Thanks for the input. Sounds as if you both would still recommend something like the Edge, BullyDog type of products with the incorporated gauges and engine/transmission protection systems "just in case" even though tapping the upper levels wouldn't be recommended instead of just flashing the computer with a power upgrade as with a Predator type programmer.

Anyone have any experience with the BullyDog transmission kit that increases line pressure? Sounds like a cheap and easy to install investment.
    2005 LLY in 2500HD 2WD<br />4\" Magnaflow turbo-back exhaust<br />AFE Stage2 intake<br />Retrax bedcover w/LineX...and the list keeps growing!!!

madmatt Guest

look up suncoast converters, they advertise here and offer a lot of different options for the allison. suncoastconverters.com

Kennedy Guest

There really isn't a good cheap mod for the Allison that works. The cheap kits are pure marketing hype looking for the guys that want something cheap. The labor involved with removing the trans really dictates a need to do it right the first time. ATS and Suncoast are the leaders in Allison products.

Did you all see the episode on trucks where stacy upgraded the power on a 05 D/A. He took off the trans pan drilled a hole in the plate and changed out a spring. dont know all what he did at the moment but if you got the www.truckstv.com and do a little searching and you might find out all what he did.
    he then put everything back together and pulled a big truck a tri-axel low boy with a D-7 cat bulldozeron it
    97 Jeep ZJ 4x4<br />Black leather tow hooks, hayden ultra cool cooler HD<br />06 500 efi(my $7,200 lift kit)

Cool

Sounds good on the tranny recommendations from Kennedy. Saw the ATS feature on Two Guys Garage and was instantly envious with his maxed-out- free-of-charge-from-the-TV-show-purple-tranny. Guess I'll save up for the ATS mods...

...and YES I did see the TRUCKS episode (of course! )which was why I asked about it... thanks to all for the points to ponder.
    Man, that purple tranny looked good