Thread: failed turbo charger

Smile failed turbo charger

2005 GMC
    The service garage claims mine is starting to come apart at 109,000 miles.
    Is this normal?

Arrow

It isn't normal, but any component can fail at any time, for a number of reasons. Turbos fail, on rare occasion, but there's usually an external cause of it. I'd ask for more info, such as, what does "starting to come apart" mean? What part, is "coming apart"? Why is it in the shop, in the first place?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I was told the fins were coming off and not safe to drive.

Arrow

That is very unusual. Either it was defective from new, or you have a serious issue that caused it, and it may repeat with a new turbo. If possible, I'd like to see some good pictures of this condition.

Do they have the turbo off the engine and on a bench? Or are they diagnosing this by looking into the compressor inlet?

How many hours and total fuel usage on the engine?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

If the "fins are coming apart" you would almost certainly hear a lot of grinding/scraping sounds.

I've seen a lot of things misdiagnosed as failed or failing turbo from EGR to vane controls to leaky ducts/boots.

These turbos are pretty darn durable so long as you keep them oiled. Probably the most common failure is the vane control ring sticking. This is a relatively easy fix once the turbo is removed.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!