Thread: 2011 2500hd High Fuel rail Pressure Code

Default 2011 2500hd High Fuel rail Pressure Code

Hi guys,

Last night while volunteering for a rally in Mendocino my truck decide to quit running. The truck threw two codes. The first code was a fuel rail high pressure code (can't remember the code number) and a very random ignition code. The truck went into limp mode following the codes and then proceeded to die on a back road. I reset the codes thinking it was a random glitch and restarted. About 80ft later the truck died again and rolled to a stop in a gulch.

While parked I pulled off the fuel filter to see if it had collapsed or failed and found that there was no pressure in the filter. I dumped the diesel and replaced the filter. I didn't prime the pump. Please manually and instead turned the ignition to get the pump to draw fuel into the filter. When I removed the filter there was still no fuel in the filter. The motor cranks but does not even try to fire.

I had the truck towed 60 miles to the hotel we are staying at and tried priming the system and starting the truck this morning. The filter will fill manually and the system seems to retain that pressure in the filter after cranking the motor a couple of times repeatedly. I am under the impression that one or more of the pumps has failed.

Unfortunately it is Sunday and no dealers or diesel tech places are open and Napa says they could t get any fuel parts here until Tuesday. Any idea of what causes, is causing this problem, and the correct way to fix the problem. Short of pushing the truck over a cliff for the insurance money?

Will

Got any aftermarket gizmos telling the engine to work harder? The common school of thought is to physically remove 'em (edge, Banks, Predator, whatever tuner) and try again to make the codes (not) happen.

Diesels are notoriously hard to prime without help and (IIRC) there's only the high pressure fuel pump to draw fuel from the engine, through the filter, into the pump, then push it to the injectors. - unless you've installed a lift pump at the fuel tank. That's a lot of air to try to suck - something the HPFP doesn't do well. Was there a reason you didn't use the primer on the filter housing when you were stuck in the gulch? I'm not surprised the engine wouldn't start without priming, especially if your filter had been emptied like you posted. While running the filter is actually under a vacuum not pressure (the HPFP pulls fuel through it) as compared to the atmosphere. Is your fuel tank cap venting properly?

My fear would be a failed CP pump. Unfortunately with those type failures they tend to foul the entire fuel system.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!