Thread: Method for Changing Fuel Filter

Default Method for Changing Fuel Filter

Is there a faster way to change fuel filter on 2012 K3500Hd Dmax than removing the passenger side fenderwell? That is a real pain. My previous Dmax allowed removal thru the top in between refrigerant lines. But not this one. Can these refrig lines be bent slightly to allow such without harming them? I would hate to pull fenderwell on the side of the road if I picked up a bad load of fuel. Appreciate your thoughts in advance.

I remove the passenger side battery. Remove positive cable and tape it, remove negative cable, remove one hold down bolt and remove battery.

Then I have plenty of room to remove the filter.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I pull the wheel liner. It's not that difficult and opens things up for easy access.

There is often mud and junk behind the liner at the rear that you can clean out while in there.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 08-15-2014 at 10:26.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

EdHale, got excited about doing battery removal until I looked at my 2012 truck. Has 4 additional wires coming into an assembly between positive and negative cables. Not sure what they feed yet. Bigger problem is I would probably have to remove entire battery box and bracing as well to have enough room. Way more congested on that side than my 2005 was. But I am still looking.

Can anyone tell me what the 4 cables are that are between the battery terminals? They are about half the diameter of positive/negative battery cables. For future reference, is there any special removal order/sequence for their removal?

Kennedy, is there a better tool than a screwdriver and needle nose pliers for pulling the plastic fasteners for the fender liner?

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

I made a few modifications with my knife to the liner, then zip tie it back when I'm done changing the filter.

Makes it sooo much easier to do from the wheel well.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Kennedy, is there a better tool than a screwdriver and needle nose pliers for pulling the plastic fasteners for the fender liner?
    I have a Snap On panel clip removal tool, but most important is to lube the pins. I use spray dielectric grease on the pins and sockets and they glide right out for me.

One of the ASG models here: http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/...?i=62083&p=742

Probably ASG186BR would be my guess.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thx John Kennedy for the tool link for fasteners. Also appreciate everyone elses comments as well.

First time I changed my fuel filter, right after I bought my truck in 06, I just went in and cut out about a 1 foot half-moon piece out of the fender liner. Went to the local Walmart and bought a piece of stiff/black plastic, cut it to overlap the hole I'd cut, drilled it and ran 6 number 10 SS sheet metal screws up snug, and have been using that access ever since. The screws have never loosened or fallen out, and I can open the hole up in less than a minute with a No 2 bit in a battery drill. The reason, for me, that it's more convenient that way, is that I have a mud flap screwed to the fender edge, which would be a real pain. I have big hands, and never could get down in there from the top without skinning up a bunch of knuckles. Worst part of the whole thing, these days, is reaching in there with both hands over the tire, and unplugging the pesky WIF sensor wires.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.