Thread: Marine injectors, ugh.

Angry Marine injectors, ugh.

Well, I did the stupid thing. Needed injectors so I bought the cheap set on the internet, boy am I sorry. First set arrived and I put them in the pop tester, they all leaked, dribbled and squirted solid fuel before they popped. I sent them back and ask for another set (should have run away from the vendor but I didn't). The second set popped good, chattered and were dry with no dribbles. Put them in and in less than 15 miles got a horrible knocking in number 4, idled smooth but off idle had this loud rattle, then as the RPM came up the engine smoothed out and at 1600 and on up it ran smooth. Pulled number 4 injector, it doesn't even hold pressure, it just squirts out in a solid stream, doesn't build any pressure on the pop tester. And the tip of the glow plug is blown off too. Have no idea where it went but it isn't in the pre-cup. Getting a little light blue smoke in the exhaust now. No practical way to pull the engine just now so I plan on putting a new set of Bosch injectors and check the compression, if it is good on the pressure I will run it, if not... well we will see. Any thoughts?
    95 GMC C2500, 449,000 miles, 4L80E w/ 4.11, 4 inch exhaust, gauges, OPS relay mod, Cold start & Fast Idle controls, 18-1, PMD cooler, coolant updates, cam gear drive, Chinese HX35W clone., Kennedy Max Effort chip

Where did you buy the injectors?

The "marine" injectors came from Diesel Care and Performance in Memphis, TN. I now have new Bosch injectors coming from Heath.
    95 GMC C2500, 449,000 miles, 4L80E w/ 4.11, 4 inch exhaust, gauges, OPS relay mod, Cold start & Fast Idle controls, 18-1, PMD cooler, coolant updates, cam gear drive, Chinese HX35W clone., Kennedy Max Effort chip

The term "marine" is often used to imply mystique and super performance and make something sound like it's better than it really is.

The old saying: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****"

Most of these "marine" units sell for less than what we pay for a good set of proper nozzles.

For many years now we have been offering our high flow/high pop units with great success. I must confess we have had little to no dyno testing to proof them, but in the field they really do work well. I recently had a customer purchase one of the HP 250/300HP DB2's. He did not see that great of power so he turned it up and it was still a bit flat. I did a set of my injectors for him and it went from mediocre to holy crap! Now he wil end up turning the pump fueling back down...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Factory new Squirts, or "IF" you have a trustworthy shop locally that knows what they are doing, a set of rebuilt ones.

The vast majority of the stuff off the net is junk.

What John said
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

And to Robyn and John Kennedy, you are both right. I was not looking for super performance from the injectors, but I had hoped for at least as good as stock performance from the "marine" injectors. I already have the max effort chip from John and the rest of the engine is well built. But as you both pointed out, and I just learned the hard way, the internet stuff is junk, I allowed price to influence me. Definitely my bad decision, my lesson learned. I am wondering about the fact the tip of the glow plug is gone? And the damage occurred in less than 15 miles and not run beyond that. Will the 18 - 1 pistons give enough room for the tip to possibly pass through without destroying a piston? Or engine?

Quote Originally Posted by gvig View Post
    Will the 18 - 1 pistons give enough room for the tip to possibly pass through without destroying a piston? Or engine?
    The difference in piston protrusion is a little more than 1/16", when compared to stock CR pistons.

So... no, 18:1s won't save you, but it may help a little.

The glow plug tips, if you're lucky, broke apart and passed on out the engine - the bits going through the turbocharger's turbine. The only way to know if there is any significant damage is to look...

Check piston rocking on the piston pin (when compared to the others). Sometimes a piston skirt will bend when fed glow plug tips, and allow the piston to rock too much. This produces more mechanical rattle.

What did you use for plugs? My chip combined with the QH plugs that we offer should get your 18:1 starting and running clean in most any weather.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I have 60G plugs in the engine, and am going back in with a new set of 60G glow plugs. They have worked well for me and John with your program and extended glow time it started really nicely, quick and clean, even with one not working any more.

Was contacted by Diesel Care and Performance, I will receive a full refund for the defective injectors. Don't like the product but cannot complain about the service.

Quote Originally Posted by gvig View Post
    The "marine" injectors came from Diesel Care and Performance in Memphis, TN. I now have new Bosch injectors coming from Heath.
    Diesel care is a bunch of straight up crooks wouldn't be surprised if they pull some injectors out of a junk motor spray painted em black and sent them to ya, you couldn't pay me enough to ever buy anything from them again
    1996 k2500 extended cab automatic trans electric shift transfer case reman engine with 70,000 miles reman trans 60,000 miles

To clarify "Buying parts online cheap"

I have built many engines over the years using such places as EBAY to source the needed parts.

The trick is to buy name brand stuff that is either new in box (NOS) or for other reasons is there.

I have scored some sweeeeet deals on pistons, rings, bearings and other stuff for very good prices.

Injectors sadly are a place I won't go.

Don't get turned off on the net, just be careful about what it is you get.

Sort of off the topic, but not.
    The other day we were trying to scare up the last four valance panels (Drapery stuff) for a remodel in the house we are doing.

All the JC PENNY stores were out and the stuff was long term back ordered.
    Soooooooo, headed to ebay and found 4 of what we needed.

Store price (on sale) $29.99 each

Ebay to my door for the 4 new pieces $47.00 total

Oh yessss, the net can be a great place to shop, ya just have to beware the scammers.

Sadly the market place for 6.5 stuff is filled with trash.

Good luck with your six and a half

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Due to circumstances beyond their control, Heath was unable to fill my order promptly so I did what I probably should have done in the very beginning, I called John Kennedy. The injectors should be here Friday.

Some lessons are learned the hard way, this was one of them.

And thank you Robyn, yes I do use the net for purchasing stuff but I think from now on I will use either Kennedy or Heath for my diesel needs if possible, they both sell good stuff and are thoroughly reliable and honest. Most of my 6.5 stuff has come from Kennedy, splayed mains, Mahle pistons, DSG cam drive to name a few. Never had a bad experience with John.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    To clarify "Buying parts online cheap"

I have built many engines over the years using such places as EBAY to source the needed parts.

The trick is to buy name brand stuff that is either new in box (NOS) or for other reasons is there.

I have scored some sweeeeet deals on pistons, rings, bearings and other stuff for very good prices.

Injectors sadly are a place I won't go.

Don't get turned off on the net, just be careful about what it is you get.

Sort of off the topic, but not.
    The other day we were trying to scare up the last four valance panels (Drapery stuff) for a remodel in the house we are doing.

All the JC PENNY stores were out and the stuff was long term back ordered.
    Soooooooo, headed to ebay and found 4 of what we needed.

Store price (on sale) $29.99 each

Ebay to my door for the 4 new pieces $47.00 total

Oh yessss, the net can be a great place to shop, ya just have to beware the scammers.

Sadly the market place for 6.5 stuff is filled with trash.

Good luck with your six and a half

Robyn
    eBay is a great place but you have to be careful and if you wait over 30 days to file a problem eBay well to bad your loss . Now I just bought a bunch of stuff for my transfer case and saved a lot of money new shift motor locally was 250 eBay 107 free shipping came with a dorman sticker on it ! As far as diesel care goes they still owe me 400 for a core they say they never got even through ups shows they did and who signed for it
    1996 k2500 extended cab automatic trans electric shift transfer case reman engine with 70,000 miles reman trans 60,000 miles

Talking

Got the injectors (from Kennedy) in yesterday, all buttoned up and started right up, idles smooth, good throttle response, and drives great. Glad this long saga is reaching an end. Thanks for the good and helpful comments.

Glad you got it figured out its to bad places like diesel car have to ruin eBay for the good sellers they have changed there name on there at least once use to be able to read through and every page or so you could see where they had givin somebody the shaft then Made rude comments about the buyer for trying to get his money back

I been dealing (both as a seller and a buyer) on ebay since about 94 and have had few issues.

Can count them on one hand.

Some folks are just A$$ holes and happen to be on ebay.

Sad, but ya find the same crowd selling stuff on Craig's list and screwing folks over.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY