Thread: Tech questions conversions axle, power steering/transmission squal noise

Default Tech questions conversions axle, power steering/transmission squal noise

Ok after the 6bt conversion in the suburban I image that it is just a matter of time before the rearend fails.

Question what is involved in changing the 9.5 ring gear 14 bolt to a 10.5 ring gear 14 bolt with disc brakes? It is out of a 2003 2500HD 6 liter gas truck. Will the axle bolt in minus the brake hook up. Drive shaft bolt in. Has anyone done this?

Power steering. I am running the Dodge saginaw power steering unit with the housing changed over to old housing off the 6.5 diesel power steering unit. I used the spring out of the gm power steering unit. This way I kept all the stock lines.
    Question, after stopping then starting I get a squalling noise from the drivers side engine compartment. I can't tell what it is coming from. I just had to replace the hydroboost (it was leaking). If you let off the throttle and then back on it doesn't come back. Someone told me this might be 1st gear bands on the transmission.
    1998 1500 Suburban 4x4 3:42gears 5.9 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by computer monkey View Post
    Ok after the 6bt conversion in the suburban I image that it is just a matter of time before the rearend fails.

Question what is involved in changing the 9.5 ring gear 14 bolt to a 10.5 ring gear 14 bolt with disc brakes? It is out of a 2003 2500HD 6 liter gas truck. Will the axle bolt in minus the brake hook up. Drive shaft bolt in. Has anyone done this?
    The newer 14 bolts are the same except the spring perches needed to be relocated? I don't know off the top of my head if they are spaced the same or not...

Nother option:You can use a 14 bolt from the 88-2000 trucks. Get a set of disc brake brackets from ebay for $50 bucks. Buy front D60 rotors from auto zone and calipers and you will have a disc brake conversion. If you want parking brake then use calipers from a Cadillac El Dorado (1970's)

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to call around the junk yards and find one to measure the width of the spring perch.

Quote Originally Posted by computer monkey View Post

If you want to go the 10.5 for the greater GAWR (gross axle weight rating), it's a good move. The 10.5's full floater wheel bearings will better handle heavy loads. On the other hand, the 9.5 will certainly handle any amount of torque the 4L80-E can handle. On the dyno, Lil Red's 9.5 has seen 630 horsepower and 1200 lb-ft of torque - measured at the rear wheels. No problems yet.

GM 9.5 - Rated at 4,993 lbs-ft max output torque rating. Depending on the axle tubing dimensions, it'll handle 4,800, 5,700 or 6,000 lbs in GAWR.

GM 10.5 - Rated at 6,242 lbs-ft max output torque rating. Depending on axle tubing wall thickness, it'll handle 5,700-8,600 lbs in GAWR.

Jim

Interested in if the spring perches/shock mounts are the same width. Anybody know?

Well I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not...I searched the web for a while and didn't find much information on this kind of swap.

I bought a 2003 GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear differential with disc brakes this weekend. After a quick look and just doing some quick tape measuring it looks like the axle is about three inches wider. The spring perches are about 1.5 inches wider. The shock mounts are different. My axle coming from the suburban has a rear anti sway bar. The truck did not.

any way try to post more when I have time.