Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

What is the best type of transmission fluid to use and how much does the Allison take.

Cool

Go to http://www.allisontransmission.com and look up info on the series 1000 transmissions. You can find a lot of info there. There are only 3 types of fluid that is usable in these transmissions Dextron III, TranSynd from Allison by Castrol and a mix of the two when you are switching from one to the other. Find a local Allison shop to buy fluid and filters from, the parts will be significantly cheaper than from a GM Dealer. You can also look into a deep pan and pick-up tube in you want to increase the fluid capacity.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!

Question

Looking through the Allison Operator's Manual they describe two pans - standard and shallow. They show shallow initial fill 14.8 qt and refill 10.6 qt. The standard pan at refill 12.7 qt and refill at 7.4 qt.

Is there a third "deep" pan available or is the stock pan the "shallow". What is the capacity of the deep pan?

Can Mobil-1 fluid be used?--I'ts Dextron and locally availible.
    2002 Crew Cab, LS, SB, 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 3.73 LS, Trailering pkg, loaded. White/tan, Buckets

gdblake,

As long as the Mobile 1 is DEXRON III Certified it should be fine. When the time comes I'm going to either use Amsoil or Transynd for mine and I'm going to do the pump out that is talked about in an earlier post. At this point all I have done is change the filter.
    Are you out next to Lake Bridgeport?

Abe
    2002 SB, CC D/A Combo
    Solargizer Battery Maintenance System
    Line-X Liner
    HD Mud Flaps
    Street Pilot GPS
    Amsoil Air Filter and rear diff fluid
    Catch-All Floor Mats
    Double towing 25' Layton 5vr and the Astro
    -----------------------------
    Astro S20-DC W/ 200 Suzuki
    1999 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic PCII, Hooker Slip Ons, SE Air Cleaner

Talking

Just had an interesting conversation w/ a Mack truck salesperson. We were discussing extended warranties on our Dmaxes. He was telling me that warranties alone on their transmissions are 2K to 4K, and that the trannies run 15K to 20K to replace. He told me that Allison just came out w/ a bulletin stating that they would not honor any warranty repair over 50K miles if the Allison did not have Transynd. I don't know the full truth to it someone here probably knows better than me but that is pretty convincing to switch over even though my truck won't be used as hard as the Mack trucks he sells. Maybe Big Al can shed some light on this.
    2001 2500HD D/A CC RED LT SWB D/A Ranch Hand front and rear
    305/70 16 Wrangler AT/S, Catch-All mats

mdrag Guest

Cool

gdblake,

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is on the Allison Approved oils list (available as a pdf document download):

http://www.allisontransmission.com/p...cationType=All

However, only Transynd is approved for extended drain intervals, so if you use Mobil 1 ATF, you will have to follow the normal maintanence schedule.

The OEM pan on our trucks is the shallow pan, and a comparison of the deep and shallow pans:

STOCK SHALLOW PAN CAPACITY 7.4 QTS (ALL YOU CAN DRAIN)
    LARGE PAN CAPACITY 7.4 QTS + 3.2 QTS = 10.6 QTS

TOTAL CAPACITY (DRY SYSTEM) W/SHALLOW STOCK PAN 12.7 QTS
    TOTAL CAPACITY (DRY SYSTEM) W/DEEP PAN 15.9 QTS

TORQUE PAN BOLTS = 20 ft lbs
    TORQUE DRAIN PLUG = 25 ft lbs
    NOTE*
    1. Old suction screen seal may stick in.
    2. Allison filter has removable magnet.

Part #s for the deep pan and internal suction filter for the deep pan:

DEEP PAN SUCTION FILTER
    new part # 29537966
    old part # 29536891

DEEP PAN
    part# 29536522

PAN GASKET
    part# 29536526

I listed the pan gasket - it is reusable and should not need replaced when changing pans.

ON EDIT: The forum software edited the link, the last part of the link should read:

GN3465EN. j s p

Leave out the spaces bwtween the 'dot' and the last 3 letters. Or go to

http://www.allisontransmission.com

and chose PUBLICATIONS from the menu below the Allison emblem, then search BY PUBLICATION NUMBER - using GN3465EN.
    Last edited by More Power; 08-10-2007 at 23:51. Reason: update link

TXDMAX - The requirement to use TranSynd in order to keep the Allison transmission warranty intact is applicable to medium and heavy duty trucks sold thru many OEM's such as Mack, Freightliner, etc. where the purchaser has the option to buy an extended transmission coverage and has done so. The price of such coverage depends upon the truck vocation. A refuse truck application would cost more than say a delivery truck based on the type of duty cycle the vehicle is likely to see. There is no requirement on the pickup trucks to utilize Transynd in order to keep the warranty in effect on the transmission. It is a personal choice to use DexronIII or TranSynd. The only extended warranty coverage for the pickups that might be available would be thru the Chevrolet/GMC dealer, not Allison Transmission. Sorry for the rambling and hope this answers your question. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

TXMAX and MDRAG, Thanks for the responses. I'll use the Castrol TranSynd on first change. Yes, TXMAX--right here at Bridgeport lake. George

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: gdblake ]</p>
    2002 Crew Cab, LS, SB, 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 3.73 LS, Trailering pkg, loaded. White/tan, Buckets

What is in the truck from the factory, Dextron III or TranSynd?

Dexron III dino oil is factory fill. Any Dexron III rated fluid is OK for the Allison. Only TES-295 rated fluids, (synthetic Dexron III such as Transynd or Amsoil), are rated for extended drain intervals.

You need to change the external filter at the initial 5000 mile mark per Allison recommendation for the 1000 series transmissions.

Allison or GM cannot say you have to use a certain brand of oil, Transynd or whatever, to maintain your warranty. Just as long as it's Dexron III is all that matters.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD LS 8.1 Allison w/deep pan Ext. Cab SB 4x4 3.73\'s w/G80 Rhino Liner Westin Bars Lucerix Mirrors Bilstein Shocks Amsoil Synthetic Throughout Built 5/11/2001 Purchased off lot 11/10/2001--2002 Jayco Eagle 281RLS Reese 16k Slider Tekonsha Prodigy 32yr. GM/Delphi employee Amsoil Dealer/User for 21 years Volunteer Firefighter for 16 yrs.

Red face

bobojay, I thought only Transynd was the only fluid approved for extended drain intervals. If Amsoil is ok it sure would be nice to save a little dough.

Whoops sorry bugged ou a little early. Does anyone know if Amsoil is TES-295 certified?
    thanks

Does anyone know how to locate Allison dealers? I tried to find a list at Google search engine-with no results. My location is near Bridgeport Tx--65 miles NW of Ft. Worth, 78 miles NW of Dallas.

mdrag Guest

Cool

gdblake,

Go to the Allison web page, there is a SALES & SERVICE LOCATOR link just above the SEARCH box, or here is the direct link for the SALES & SERVICE LOCATOR:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/locator/

Talking

gdblake, I got my replacement filter at Stewart & Stevenson on I-30 about 4 miles from downtown Dallas. If you look at mdrag's site there should be a few closer to you.

Amsoil ATF IS TES-295 certified. If you or anyone wants some info etc. send me an e-mail at bobojay@earthlink.net and I'll get some info out to you..............Yes I'm a dealer.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD LS 8.1 Allison w/deep pan Ext. Cab SB 4x4 3.73\'s w/G80 Rhino Liner Westin Bars Lucerix Mirrors Bilstein Shocks Amsoil Synthetic Throughout Built 5/11/2001 Purchased off lot 11/10/2001--2002 Jayco Eagle 281RLS Reese 16k Slider Tekonsha Prodigy 32yr. GM/Delphi employee Amsoil Dealer/User for 21 years Volunteer Firefighter for 16 yrs.

Thanks TXDMAX and MDRAG. Appreciate the help!

LanduytG Guest

No Amsoil ATF is not TES-295 certified yet, but it will be soon. The only reason that it has to be certified is for the extended warranty on the trans in motorhomes and the larger vehicles.
    Greg

LanduytG Guest

I called tech today to find out the status of the Amsoil ATF for the Allison. It does meet all the TES-295 spec and can be used. But for those that have the Allsion exstended warranty it still has not been approved. It is however in the process of being approved by Allison. As wheel all know the wheels of progress move slowly.
    Greg