Thread: Question for DmaxMaverick

Default Question for DmaxMaverick

In the thread I started 'Oil Temperature Gauge' you replied "I'm not installing an oil temp gage, but if I were, I'd install it further down the stream than the filter housing. There are several gallery port/plugs to choose from.".
    Could you please give me some idea on how I can locate and identify those port/plugs?
    Thanks
    Randy

Arrow

They're identified in the repair manual diagram. I'd have to look it up. I saw quite a few plugged ports when crawling around my engine, and looked them up. It's been a while. Some of them are coolant passage drains, others oil gallery cross-bore and drain/access ports.

After giving it some thought......
    While locating it in a port would be more "hi-tech", I think a better place would be in the pan, about mid way in the oil level. If in the block, the temp sample can be effected greatly by heat transfered through the block and coolant. In the sump, it would be the oil right off the engine, before the pump, cooler and filter. A better representation of the actual oil temp, I think. It would also be more real time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the response; maybe the dealership will give me access if you don't have the time which I certainly understand. I agree that the best place probably is the pan but I am not going to go to the trouble of removing the pan so that I can weld a 'pete's' plug on it.
    Thanks again
    Randy

Arrow

You wouldn't have to remove the pan. The sump sub pan can be removed, giving access to install a threaded bulkhead type bung (which is what I'd do), or it could be installed in the sub pan. It doesn't look to be too difficult, but I've never done one like this. I'd prefer to not weld, if there is a workable alternative.

It could even be installed in the drain plug hole. It would make oil changes a little more detailed, but the hole is already there, and installation would be a snap.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I thought about the drain plug also but the other thought of something snagging the sensor nixed that idea pretty quick. Now you have me somewhat baffled about the sump pan???........I thought I had a pretty good idea of what things look like under the truck considering all the time I have spent under it but you have me real curiuos and I'll see what I have missed tonight....two pans huh! Also will do some port hunting.....guess if anti-freeze comes out it's not an oil passage!
    Randy

Arrow

If you are set on a plug in the block, that's what I'd do. Pull it and see what's on the other side.

The crankcase (oil pan) is a 2-piece. Upper and lower. Pretty easy to pull/replace the lower (upper is pretty involved). You may have to remove a crossmember (bolts, no welds, not difficult) under/around the pan. It's different for 2 or 4 WD, but is simple either way. It's sealed w/o a gasket. Sealer only.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A