Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Turbo Wastegate Actuator

Arrow Adjustable Turbo Wastegate Actuator

Thumbs up Free Stuff!

One of our members, Pete Jadwinski, has graciously volunteered to produce a kit for TDP members that includes the threaded sleeve and jam nuts. The Diesel Page will give away (as in free) the first dozen sets. Thereafter, you'll be able to order them at a good price directly from Pete.

If you own a 1992-95 6.5L diesel and you'd like to be among the first dozen, send me an email.

Jim

Thank you for the package, Jim!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

You're welcome!

We still have a few of the free sets left...

Jim

As I mess with electrical issues I have often wished that my 1998 was actually a 1995! Here is one more reason to...
    ---------------------
    1998 Chevy silverado 3500 4x4, 6.5TD, 215000 miles, 4L80-E, 4.10 ratio, 6" lift, gauges and intercooler... and a newly rebuilt engine on new block and heads!

Thanks Jim I received my package today, will have to acquire an actuator this week to give this a try.

Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Default Can you really delete the vacuum on 94+

Hey Jim,
    Is it really OK to just remove the vacuum line on a 94? It doesn't mess with the computer? I thought the vacuum actually created or metered the pull on the rod. Is that incorrect- is there a spring in there that handles it- if so why the vacuum hose to begin with? What if you have a performance chip- would the programming address the amount of vacuum as a way to increase performance, and thus you would be hurting yourself by removing the line? I probably should have paid more attention to this before asking you for one! Sorry! I'll do some more searching in the meantime.....
    Dave

EDIT: I searched for wastegate and found a lot of posts. It seems like I need to keep the vacuum in place. If I tighten up the rod using the adjustable arm, it will still work the same way, but give me a little increase in boost, right? Or will this mess with the computer because the resulting boost is more than it was trying to provide?
    Last edited by fastboat; 04-28-2008 at 18:01.

You'll need a 1992-93 factory actuator to work with this mod. One of these actuators would bolt right onto your turbo (replacing the one you have now). Unless you have a 1992-93 actuator already or can get an inexpensive used one, there are better options. As far as the vacuum system, some computers aren't all that finicky when installing an adjustable mechanical actuator - some are. Some of these are helped with a boost fooler or a program that compensates.

Perhaps the best choice for the EFI systems is a chip that does it all - more boost pressure (via the factory vacuum actuated controller) and more fuel.

Jim

Here is what I installed on the P400...

It looks bad, but works good... so good that I needed to dial it down several times already!! I am running 12 lbs of boost

That should work as well as any other mod. More than one way to skin a cat!

Jim

ill take a free one....

ha ha, I doubt any are left, Im a little late on this.

Nice write up though, thanks

Still have some left! Send your name and mailing address (US) to my email address (see link in signature) along with a note about the actuator threaded sleeve & nuts. If you live in Canada or Europe or Australia or ??, pls send a few bucks to cover postage.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 01-23-2009 at 10:49. Reason: add to

Speaking of improvising.

A friend called me late one night with a serious issue with his waste gate.

Seems the diaphram had gone south and the waste gate was hanging open.

This was quite disturbing as the EGT's were going through the roof while pulling grades. (He was towing a camp trailer 20ft ??? )

The issue was, what could be done out in the middle of nowhere???????/

I advised him to rummage the tool box and see what he had available.
    A few minutes later he calls back with a list of items available.

1 Bungy cord, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Found laying alongside the rig at the truck stop while getting some chow.

Hooked to the wastegate arm and tied off to a suitable spot in the engine bay, the little rubber band got the job done quite well, and with a little adjustment worked for the remainder of their trip.

A few SES lights due to excess boost but easily reset on the fly with a restart.

Goota make due ya know

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Wastegate

Or some wire and a spring will do the same trick, if you aren't worried about looks.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Any port in a storm ya know

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

email sent.

this looks good.

so if i'm reading right:

i install the 92/93 actuator and DO NOT hook vacuum to it. correct?

how come i cant use the 94/5 actuator. kind of new at this whole "diesel" thing

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut OOA View Post
    email sent.

this looks good.

so if i'm reading right:

i install the 92/93 actuator and DO NOT hook vacuum to it. correct?

how come i cant use the 94/5 actuator. kind of new at this whole "diesel" thing
    The 92/93 actuators are not vacuum controlled. Spring tension only. 94 and later are vacuum/PCM controlled. If you use a vacuum actuator, you will still need vacuum (the vacuum is the spring, so to speak).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Has anyone modified a 94-95 to work with one of these? And if so do you have any pictures of what is needed or possibly a good write up?

I picked up a 94 Suburban yesterday, so maybe if I poked around long enough I could figure out what needs to be done, but this is my first diesel, and my first turbo.