Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dag Blum thing gets stuck in the snow

Default Dag Blum thing gets stuck in the snow

Got a 95 Chevy 3500 dually sitting in my driveway that has an issue with the 4WD. Took it out a couple of weeks ago, engaged the 4 high and made it about 1/2 mile then it dropped out. Turns out the 4WD fuse blew out and the replacement fuse blew immediately. Obviously a dead short somewhere.

Under about 3 feet of snow right now and crawling around underneath the truck is not high on my "want" list.

Any immediate suggestions come to mind? Anything typically to look for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Arrow

Quick and dirty (since you're crawling around under it)......

Get the front diff plug, install it in a few minutes, and deal with the selectability when the snow is gone and it warms up some. The plug forces full time diff engagement. The transfer case will still work normally, so you can get in and out of 4x4 as necessary. Info on the plug is in another recent thread.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

HERE'S the thread. Some good info on what is probably your issue, with some other solutions included.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Now all I have to do is use the plow to tow it out of the snowbank so I can get under it. Who would order a 3500 dually with two open center axles. Even with 4WD the thing is useless in the snow and now with only the rear working, it may end up being a lawn ornament till spring.

Thanks again.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Duallys are notoriously bad when it comes to traction in rain or snow. 400 lbs of sand bags over the rear axle will help. I think you have more of a traction problem than anything else. Back when I was a kid, I plowed snow for the town highway dept. We had a few Chevy dually C30 2wd mason dumps, 292 6cyl, 4sp trannys with 9ft Fisher plows on them. We would load them to the gunwales with 2-1/2 to 3yds of sand and salt and never got stuck. We would rarely have to put chains on them either. Im not saying you have to load your truck to that extreme, but some weight would help drasticly.
    1986 M1031, Banks turbo,700R4,4.56 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdozer View Post
    Duallys are notoriously bad when it comes to traction in rain or snow. 400 lbs of sand bags over the rear axle will help. I think you have more of a traction problem than anything else. Back when I was a kid, I plowed snow for the town highway dept. We had a few Chevy dually C30 2wd mason dumps, 292 6cyl, 4sp trannys with 9ft Fisher plows on them. We would load them to the gunwales with 2-1/2 to 3yds of sand and salt and never got stuck. We would rarely have to put chains on them either. Im not saying you have to load your truck to that extreme, but some weight would help drasticly.
    Truck was never meant to plow. At close to 20 feet long, it would never make a functional plow vehicle. The PO used it in south Texas to tow a fiver for a church group. My big question is why did they even want 4wd and if they foresaw a need for 4WD why didn't they at least spec a posi on the rear? Cost would have been marginal at the factory level. Checked the VIN number on Compnine and the open rear axle was actually an option and would have needed you to check off a box on the original order.

Fully agree about the weight in the back. This one currently has about 200 lbs. of snow in it and still won't move. Unloaded, most older pickups are useless in the snow, especially the long wheel base ones.

Going to pull it out today and move it into storage. Current owner won't need it till the spring so will address this issue then. Just thought there would be a quick and dirty fix to at least get it back into 4WD without having to grovel under the truck to get it out of the snowbank. Scratch that idea.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

You hit the nail on the head as far as the trucks specs being poorly thought out. They probably figured it would never leave the pavement. I can understand the dual wheels for towing, but four wheel drive in south Texas seems strange to me unless it's used as an off road constuction work truck.

Still useless with the open axle as it will get stuck after a five minute rain. As you said, those long trucks need at least a posi, or in my opinion, a locker to be of any worth in the snow. Check out that Posi Lock setup for the front axle, I did one on a friends S10 and it works great. Throw a locker in that rear and you'll be all set.

Ever consider a GOV truck like mine? 6.2, 205 TC , rear Detroit locker, limited slip front, and old school locking hubs. You'll never get it stuck, and it might be a better fit in your neck of the woods. It will top out at 55mph , unless you throw a 700R4 in it as I did. Good luck. Wayne.

Got that part covered. Have an 88 GMC 2500 6.2 regular cab. Two manhole covers and a 45 gallon tank of home heating fuel in the box and that thing will pull stumps. Use it only to plow the laneway in the winter and to supply fuel for the house (all my fuel tanks are stale dated so can't get anyone to deliver fuel for me...provincial regs ).

Was just storing the dually for a friend. Used it to pull my RV south last year (Myrtle Beach) and poured over 1,200 dollars in gasoline into it. Best mileage for the whole trip was 6 MPG. That's not going to happen again. Should have spent the money on fixing up the Caddy. Would have reduced the fuel bill by at least 600 bucks.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Send that gas guzzlin pavement queen dually back to Texas, LOL. That truck still must have cost a fortune new. A gasser with axles like that? what a waste.

Send that gas guzzlin pavement queen dually back to Texas, LOL. That truck still must have cost a fortune new. A gasser with axles like that? what a waste.
    Current owner wants it to pull a gooseneck with his backhoe on it. Seriously looking at doing a 12 valve Cummins conversion. Truck is still very nice with no rust. Going to have ceremonial burning of the Chevy rat engine out in the back yard.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Bill, Im an Operating Engineer with 30 yrs in the seat and beleve me, towing anything bigger than a compact type tractor with that truck is insane. The smallest industrial size backhoe like a Deere 310 or a Cat 416 weighs in at nearly 16000 pounds. Add the weight of a goosneck trailer capable of carrying that kind of weight would require at least a GMC 5000 series truck with air brakes. A gooseneck trailer with electric brakes is even a little light for a compact, Deere, Kabota, or New Holland TLB. Be carefull.

Bill, Im an Operating Engineer with 30 yrs in the seat and beleve me, towing anything bigger than a compact type tractor with that truck is insane. The smallest industrial size backhoe like a Deere 310 or a Cat 416 weighs in at nearly 16000 pounds. Add the weight of a goosneck trailer capable of carrying that kind of weight would require at least a GMC 5000 series truck with air brakes. A gooseneck trailer with electric brakes is even a little light for a compact, Deere, Kabota, or New Holland TLB. Be carefull.
    Understood and I agree but have no idea what size machine he intends on hauling with it. Do know he picked up the gooseneck from a custom builder and I will suggest he installs a set of electric over hydraulic disc brakes on it. The truck is rated for 16,700 lbs. so that is going to be a limitation.

Bill
    Last edited by convert2diesel; 01-06-2013 at 21:33.
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Keep me posted, I would be interested with the outcome.

Will do Wayne. By the way, where is Ossining in relation to the rest of the world? Know upstate NY pretty well but have never heard of your home town.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

As a process of elimination once you start testing I'd suggest that you simply unplug the solenoid for the CAD on the front diff and test in 4x4 to see if the fuse still blows.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Hea Bill, Brewster NY is my home town, so Im a Putnam Co hillbilly by birth, LOL. I moved to Ossining about twelve years ago. Ossining is in northern Westchester Co, and approx 30 miles-by the crow flys, north of NYC on the eastern shore of the Hudson river, and 10 miles north of the Tappan Zee bridge. The famous terms "up the river" "old sparky" and "the big house" originated here as Sing Sing prison is located here. It is one of the oldest prisons in the United States-1826. It occupies 137 acres and about a half a billion dollars worth of prime real estate right on the rivers edge..

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    As a process of elimination once you start testing I'd suggest that you simply unplug the solenoid for the CAD on the front diff and test in 4x4 to see if the fuse still blows.
    Forgive my ignorance but what pray tell is the CAD? I assume the solenoid is in the underhood fuse panel.

Wayne:

A total departure from the original topic but a few years ago I had probably the best steak I have ever had in the town of Catskill, somewhat north of you. Was dropping off a friend at his boat to continue a trip down the inland waterway to Florida. Was the first week of December and being a vacation town, Catskill had rolled up the sidewalks for the season. Even the marina where his boat was docked had brought in the docks for the year and were waiting for Paul to leave before shutting the place down. Had to break the ice out of the harbor to get him out into the Hudson. The only restaurant still open was a nice little Italian place on the main street and I was pleasantly surprised with the meal.

You sir live in probably the nicest area in the north east. Have always loved the Catskills. Wonderful country.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what pray tell is the CAD? I assume the solenoid is in the underhood fuse panel.......Bill
    CAD = Center Axle Disconnect. The system that disconnects the powertrain at the front diff.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    CAD = Center Axle Disconnect. The system that disconnects the powertrain at the front diff.
    Thanks. Way too many acronyms around for this old brain to process.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

The plug in is on the diff housing itself. The old heater and wax activators were pure crap. The replacement electric ones were incredibly reliable and the concept is still in use today.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!