Thread: converting a 6.5 Optimizer to mechanical injection pump?

Default converting a 6.5 Optimizer to mechanical injection pump?

Newbie Diesel fan. I've been gleaning info from you guys for a few years now. Thank you
    My question today is: does anyone have experience converting specifically a 6.5 Optimizer to mechanical injection? I have already had it done to a 6.5TD with the help of Bobby Martin's free guide. I have a line on a gently used 2006 optimizer that I'd like to use in a swap and I want to make sure there are not any limitations to the conversion due to slight changes in the intake or anything else. As I mentioned, I have already converted a 6.5 TD to DB2 but I am looking for specific experience with the Optimizer. Thank you in advance for your time & help! God bless
    John
    85 Land Cruiser 6.5TD NV4500

The Optimizers were designed to retrofit back for every 6.5L engine application with little or no modifications. However, that was for military applications - which typically used the center mount turbo.

My understanding is that the angle of the intake manifold bolts is different. The naturally aspirated or side-mount turbo applications have bolts that are at 90 degrees to the intake manifold surface. Intake bolts that are at 60 degrees to the intake manifold mounting face are found on the center-mount turbo manifold.

I haven’t looked into what would need to be done to change things to accept the NA or side mount turbo intake manifold.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

AMG offers the P400 and the Optimizer series 6.5 engines. Either one should be available with either both side or center mount turbo config and the appropriate heads for the application. The issue with the P400 I am told is that the cast pan/girdle does not fit the 4x4 trucks so I have not had much dealing with this particular engine.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!