Thread: Bronco Swap Recommendation

Default Bronco Swap Recommendation

I'm in the planning stage for a diesel swap into an early Ford Bronco (1974). The truck currently has a 351W. I'm thinking 4BTA, but I'd like some feedback as I'm no diesel expert. Here are my criteria:

1. Will fit into an early Bronco (fab work is fine).
    2. Reliable
    3. Parts availability
    4. Power/fuel mileage
    5. Cost
    6. Noise

#5 and #6 are my biggest worries with the 4BTA. Doesn't seem overly cheap, and they're noisy...

As far as fabrication skills, I am willing/capable of doing anything short of adapter plates for transmissions, etc. I'm capable, but not willing...

Thanks,

Danny

06 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT, CCLB, SRW, Duramax/Allison; Planning 72 Bronco Diesel Swap

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

I'll try to keep it simple.

1. Yes.

2. Very.

3. Widely available, just about anywhere.

4. Modest to excellent, depending on your objective, and #5 & #6.

5. Cost depends on how you source the powerplant, transmission choice (and sourcing), how much custom work you do yourself. Ranges from a little to a lot. (yeah, vague, but the facts)

6. Here's the catch. NVH is quite high, when set up normally. They can be quieted down significantly, but it's a trade off with #4 and #5, and possibly #2 (too many variables, just yet).

Transmission adapter plates are available from several sources. They were equipped with several options. The best approach is to source one with a tranny you will use (or compatible), so no worries with that. If you don't, they aren't too expensive, relatively.

Other considerations include normal "conversion" issues. One thing to consider seriously, is the original (very inadequate) brake system and gear sets. Perhaps axle upgrades, with the brakes. The original gears (and essentially the entire original powertrain) won't handle the Diesel torque. You will also need to provide a vacuum source for power brakes, or convert to hydroboost (PS pump powered). You'll be adding significant weight to the front end, so you'll also have to work out the suspension (probably new springs are best) and frame strength. If it doesn't have power steering, you'll really want that with the additional weight. The rest is just details, and mostly simple.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Have you considered a 6.2L? Compared to the 4BT, they're a lot less noisy, lighter and not nearly as tall so it'll fit in the engine bay a lot easier. I've heard too many complaints about noise and shakes with the 4BT.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear