Thread: k and n filter throwing codes

Default k and n filter throwing codes

ive seen others with same dilemma, maf not liking the k and n filter upgrade, is there a way to satisfy the pcm from filter incompatibility? this is a 2500 from '05

Arrow

This is not an issue specific to K&N filters, but includes many of the wet-type filters. The problem with K&N and most wet-gauze type filters is they must be fairly "wet" in order to work properly. This causes a problem when the excess fluid enters the intake and fouls the MAF sensor. The issue can be lessened by allowing the filter to drain well before use, which can take a couple to several days. Wet-foam type filters can experience the same issue, but can be reduced or eliminated by removing excess oil prior to use, as they tend to retain the oil better, and require a less amount of (usually) heavier oil, and can be towel-blotted.

The ultimate solution is to clean the MAF sensor as needed. Remove it and spray it well with electronics component/contact cleaner. Make sure the cleaner is "plastic safe" (some aren't, as well as most brake cleaners). If you are intent on continued use, be prepared and expect to do this for a period after every filter service. There is no way around it, even if you use the intake plumbing systems designed by the filter manufacturers. I Use an AFE Stage II system, and have the same issue when I use the original wet-gauze filter. Most of the time I use an Amsoil dry-cleanable filter, and it has no issues with the MAF.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Does your truck have the original airbox?

I've had an oiled foam air filter element for a long time. It's not caused a problem with the MAF sensor, but I do clean the MAF every couple of years using a spray cleaner I get at NAPA produced specifically for a MAF sensor.

Like DmaxMaverick suggested, blot the excess oil after cleaning/re-oiling the air filter element to reduce MAF sensor fouling.

Jim

The K&N seems to be one of the worst offenders in that they relocate the MAF sensor to a completely different location in the flow. What this does is alter the MAF signal from the calibrated value.

This can cause the ECM to "see" more air than is really flowing. Since the ECM uses MAF to determine transient fueling (response) it can give a boost in performance/response by actually adding a bit of fuel.

In other words the A/F ratio can be manipulated by altering placement into a point of increased velocity. What can happen is that the MAF readings fall out of range upsetting the ECM.

Check for leaks as well.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck manipulating the maf sensor downstream, I did clean the excess oil and it did better, its stock in its installation, no mods