Thread: new project thoughts and advice

Default new project thoughts and advice

I'm new here but throwing this out for thoughts, ideas and advice. I have a 91 Ford F450, recently came into a Detroit 3 71...my mind is turn over the possibilities, but not sure...anyone out there ever do this?

Default more info

FSuperDuty 012.jpgMaybe a little more info might get me some help. The truck is a 91 F450 chassis cab with 10 foot flatbed. Came from the factory with a 7.3 IDI and a 5 speed manual. Took the tranny out to rebuild it and some one stole it from outside the shop (gotta love south Florida) The engine is tired. Came across a 3 cylinder Detroit, great shape, runs good, that is mine for the taking. Just curious what would be the best trans/driveline set up. the rearend in the truck now is a Dana 80 with 5.13 ratio. I work as a operating engineer, so this truck wouldn't need to be a hiway flyer, but a good dependable puller.
    Last edited by Gator673; 09-26-2014 at 05:23. Reason: add picture

Well as one OE to another, Welcome to TDP.

Back in the 70's there were a couple guys in California putting 4/53 Detroit's in pickups and they worked very well. I don't think you will get enough out of a 3 banger. But that is just my opinion.

I know there were quite a few GM mechanics trucks running the 6/53's. Your chaise should hold the weight of 4 or 6 cylinder Detroit. You'll just need to add enough gears to get the top end speeds.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold