Thread: My 6.5L engine does not start

Unhappy My 6.5L engine does not start

Hello to the whole group, I write from Italy and I have a problem with my motorhome, for some time the engine does not start, the diesel comes up to the pump but does not come out of compression. maybe the problem is the electric part of the pump, I heard that there is a relay that manages the solenoid valve of the pump! could this be the problem? can someone help me in this? thanks and greetings to all. Lerry

Hi Lerry
    Welcome from the other side of our planet.
    Could you provide some more information to help with your truck?
    Like is it mechanical or electronic injected? This will affect the diagnostic procedure.
    And what is the motor home it is in? Is it a factory install or other? Year of engine?
    Any other modifications? Type of fuel filter?
    Some may want some pictures if that is possible .
    With some more info you will get lots of advice on what to try.
    Don't worry your motor home will ride again.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Hi,

If it is the electronic pump, you have two likely possible scenarios. One is the fuel shut off solenoid. It is a chrome plated, cylindrical part that sticks up from the top of the pump. This can stick and keep fuel from being allowed into the pump.

The other is the the fuel solenoid driver.

Barring a mechanical failure in either the transfer pump (vane pump inside the injection pump body) or the high pressure pump (piston plunger type pump inside the injection pump body), the aforementioned items are the most likely causes of no-start.

Check to see if the shut off solenoid body is loose. Sometimes tapping on it can dislodge the plunger and make it work. Also, make sure the solenoid is getting voltage when the key is in the run position.

Talking Sorry if I wrote little information!

Sorry if I wrote little information!
    the motorhome is a Chevrolet Overland Lextra Odessa Inc. 1996
    with engine year 8/95 GM 6.5 turbo diesel V8, automatic transmission, with Stanadyne DS Electronic Pump.

the diesel flow is ok up to the solenoid of the pump, the solenoid has been changed and it works correctly, but the compression does not work and therefore does not pass fuel to the ignitors.

the PMD of the pump has been changed and mounted on the front of the vehicle, I am attaching photos of the modification.

let me know if you need more information thanks.

Do you get smoke when you crank the engine?

No, when I crank the engine don't get smoke!!!!