Thread: Edge EZ reviews

Default Edge EZ reviews

I am thinking about putting the edge EZ on my 2005 GMC extended cab 4X4. I am looking for a little extra power while pulling and a little extra fuel economy. I want something that will work with the stock truck. Please let me know how well it works, ease of use and ease to remove when taking the truck into the dealer.

Thanks
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

If you read the posts from 2002 to the present date you will find questions, such as my truck just quite or truck wont start etc. and the common reply through the years is remove the (hp increaser or the gas milage improver) module, Im sure they are all well designed and well supported by the factorys, BUT when you are along way from home towing who needs problems???? you need reliability and your Duramax is just that reliable, and powerful for your intended purpose.

good luck

drive safe
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

I have had my Edge EZ on for about 9 months now, and have probably put 15,000 miles on it during that time, a lot of it pulling my travel trailer. I have had no problems with it, although it stays in #1 (lowest setting) all of the time. I bought it primarily for a little extra power when towing. Installation takes about 5 minutes and the same to take it off if going to a dealer. I don't know if I have ever read on any forum of anyone having any trouble with the Edge EZ. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one. If you plan on towing, I would strongly recommend a pyrometer (EGT gauge), as exhaust temps past 1300 degrees are possible if you aren't carefull. I can't vouch for any mileage increases, as I don't have a DIS, and I bought my truck to pull with regardless of mileage.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.

I have had the Edge EZ on my truck for almost 18 months. I have towed my 12k 5th wheel across Missouri, Kansas, and into the Rockies of Colorado with the power level set on level 1 and also level 2. I bought the EZ just for the enhanced power while towing and have been very pleased. With the EZ I have been able to tow up many inclines without downshifting from overdrive, which previously required a downshift. As Roy W said, however, you definitely do want to get a pyro gauge so you can monitor your EGT. Even though the EZ will enable me to pull some inclines without downshifting, I still do so sometimes in order to keep the EGT temps below 1300. Installing and removing the EZ is very easy and quick. I have had no problems with mine and would recommend it.
    2003 Duramax/Allison 3500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4; J&J Tubeless Tapered Running Boards, Retrax cover, Line-X

Thanks for the Advice, I ordered the ez along with a set of gauges from kennedy. Do you guys have pillar mounted gauges, that is what I ordered. Do you have any tips on the best places to plumb in the exhaust temp and the boost gauge? Also, can you change the levels on the fly? Is it just a matter of flipping the switch? Is the power difference that noticable? Are you guys running stock trucks otherwise?

Letgo, Was the edge ez that you were having issues with or another tunner?

Thanks
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

I think you made a good choice. I only have a pyrometer, but I mounted it in a black gauge cup, and stuck it on the dash next to the pillar with two-faced tape. The pyrometer probe is mounted at the rear of the passenger side exhaust manifold. Access for drilling the exhaust manifold is achieved by removing the inner fender panel. (Change your fuel filter while you're there).If you drill the hole with the motor running, no chips will enter the turbo, but wear safety glasses to keep them from blowing back into your eyes......Yes, you can change the settings on the fly by just flipping the switch, and Yes....you can tell the difference between settings. I've also added a 4" TTS cat back exhaust system. I didn't notice any change in performance, but egt's were lowered by 100-150 degrees when pulling my trailer.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.

I had a pyrometer and a boost gauge mounted on the A pillar. The probe for the EGT was mounted the same place as mentioned by Roy W. I am not sure where the boost gauge probe was mounted (I had a local diesel shop do the work). As Roy W said, you can change power levels on the fly by just flipping a switch. Since I did not plan on changing power levels frequently, I just left the switch under the hood. The only times I change the level is before I tow and after I tow. Otherwise I leave the power level unchanged. Consequently, I did not need to mount the switch inside the cab. Yes, you can definitely tell the difference in the power levels. Apart from the EZ, my truck is entirely stock in terms of the engine and exhaust. I have thought about modifying the exhaust in order to lower the EGTs while towing, but my local dealer said it would void my warranty. Don't know about that, but so far I just keep the EGTs under control by letting up on the throttle or downshifiting (or both) when necessary.
    2003 Duramax/Allison 3500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4; J&J Tubeless Tapered Running Boards, Retrax cover, Line-X

Will I get black smoke out the exhaust with the EZ? Will it mess with my catilitic converter?

thanks
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by fourtenposi
    Thanks for the Advice, I ordered the ez along with a set of gauges from kennedy. Do you guys have pillar mounted gauges, that is what I ordered. Do you have any tips on the best places to plumb in the exhaust temp and the boost gauge? Also, can you change the levels on the fly? Is it just a matter of flipping the switch? Is the power difference that noticable? Are you guys running stock trucks otherwise?

Letgo, Was the edge ez that you were having issues with or another tunner?

Thanks
    Check my site under Tech Tips for gauge install notes.

You will get some smoke with the EZ. The Boost Stick will help clean that up and give you some power to go with it. Use level 2 as max when towing with the BS or you may limp the trans.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Do you recommend towing in level 3 with the EZ, How much additional power will I get with the addition of the boost stick? Will it help or hurt fuel economy?

Thanks
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

Quoting From The Edge EZ Manual: "We recommend level 1 or 2 for towing applications. Only use level 2 if you are towing a light load. Level 3 should never be used while towing. Level 3 is a great overall driving level. When driven responsibly, and used with an EGT gauge, level 3 will not stress the stock engine or transmission as long as you are not towing."......Nuff said.

What is considered a light load? Half the capacity of the truck?
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

Only a guess, but maybe 3000 - 4000 pounds

Default edge juice attitude or bully dog?

i have a 2002 duramax. i am debating wether to purchase the edge juice with attitude or the bully dog power pup down loader. anybody have any suggestions or produt feedback on any of these mods?

I got my edge ez today, and WOW! The truck starts to break traction once that turbo spools up. What does the truck do when the tranny goes into limp mode? I shifts ruff but I guess it gets better the more I drive it. It seems to shift kinda slow(maybe limp mode or does it defuel on shift) until it hits the higher gear
    2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A

It took my transmission quite a while to get the shifts sorted out. Yes....it does defuel on each shift and that is what causes the delay or hesitation between shifts. When you want to "romp and stomp", some of the roughness can be cured by using tow/haul, which will keep the converter locked up. I know you want to maximize performance, but personally on my truck, I think WOT runs from a dead stop are smoother in #1 or #2. Also when making these runs, start out with only 3/4 throttle until the truck really gets rolling, then "bury it." I rarely use #3. Also remember that you don't reach the full fueling potential until the coolant temp gets above about 180 degrees.