Thread: No New Duramax Equipped Trucks?

Arrow No New Duramax Equipped Trucks?

I received the following message earlier today from a member who was concerned about not finding any new trucks at his local GM dealership.

I was at our local Chevrolet dealer today; and commented to them that there was not one new Duramax equipped truck on the lot. The response I received was the plant is not building diesels at this time. They did not know why or when the production would start up again.
    So, I contacted someone I know at DMAX about engine production, looking for any insight into current and future production. Here's what I received in reply:

Dealers may be correct about "building diesel trucks" - to a point. The DMAX plant has already shut down the connecting rod machining line to start the 2010i changeover. Final date is not set, but the rest of the plant will shut down in December for remaining 2010i model changes. The assembly line will stop also, so any trucks currently being produced would use the existing bank of engines already assembled. So, dealers may have been given a non-production window, and this may be what they are speaking about.
    So, not to worry.... They're coming. The hole in current production is due to the changeover from current emissions certified engines to 2010 emissions certified engines, which become mandatory come January 1st.

Jim

I'm glad I have my low mileage '06 LBZ. I'm planning on keeping it for a LONG time.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Same here, I'll be keeping my 05 LLY for a while, too.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHale View Post
    I'm glad I have my low mileage '06 LBZ. I'm planning on keeping it for a LONG time.
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14

If I could afford another Duramax, I'd by any clean 2006 I could find. Maybe two.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I hear ya, wont be trading my 02 LB7 for nuttun! will drive it till wheels fall off, and rebuild her again

Arrow

Sounds like an awful lot of effort, expense and hoopla just for urea injection. All that's necessary is for you to stop at any fuel station, and there'll be no shortage of Ford or Dodge owners ready and willing to pee on your Duramax. I can see it now.....A whole new series of "pee-on" rear window stickers.... And all the old "pee-on [brand X]" stickers will take on a new meaning.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

both gm and chevy lots are bare.......hardly any cars, and no trucks..i m in central/north busy New Jersey

if it wasnt for the used car market they developed, they d be in trouble.

when i ordered my 09 in august, once found out orders for 09 s were still doable, the dealer ordered in 4 other trucks, couple 1500 s and a 2500.. all gassers ......dealer said feedback on dmax has been , to expensive of an option, and worries of diesel fuel prices going outta sight again.

.....they all sold with 2 weeks of being delivered.
    '12 gmc sierra 2500 dmax slt carbon black.
    '12 s350 diesel mb
    '10 mazda 6i, for sale
    '77 450sl benz, in family since new, sold, still in jersey thou
    '91 350sdl benz, 3.5l diesel, 28 mpg
    '90 560sel benz

Default Rumors?

The GMC dealer I bought my '09 at still has a few 09 1-ton Duramax's on the lot.

The sales manager told me that there would be no 2010 Duramax regular cab or extended cab pickups... returning to production in the 2011 model year.

Talking

I heard the new 2011 Duramax engines will have 1100 ft lbs of tourque at 1800 rpm and 483 hp and get twice the fuel milage. "Just kidding"
    You know it only gets worsed with more emmissions stuff comming.
    I did read in a diesel mag that the 2011 Ford F 250's and up will have a new totally Ford designed and Ford built 6.7 diesel, no more Navstar. Supposed to blow away GM & Dodge.
    I will believe it when I see it, isn't most of Fords trouble with the 6.0 and 6.4 due to the design of Fords parts on the Navstar engine's? Insead of letting Nav. build it like they wanted to ? Any way's it will be interesting to see what all of these new Emissions will do to all of the big 3's trucks. As for us we will keep our 07 classic, I am glad we got one of the last ones in the area. It only has 17,000 miles on it. Maybe I will actually get this one paid off before it is an antique with 500,000 miles on it. "Ha Ha"

Emissions rules hit everybody.

Ford does have a brand new, designed-in-house 6.7L V8 diesel. It sounds really cool, but will also use urea (and lots of expensive gizmos) to meet emissions.

Dodge is keeping their cummins 6.7. I think 3/4 & 1 tons use a different, non-urea technology to meet NOx emissions (adsorber, I think). Larger trucks use urea.

Navistar is using gobs of EGR. Simpler & cheaper, but worse fuel economy.

I think the new TDI's from VW use something different - a NOx storage catalyst? Not sure what the tradeoffs are there.

I believe just about everybody else is using urea for US EPA 2010 emissions.
    2002 LB7 2500 CC LB 4x4 80k
    6 spd, 3.73, 265's

07 classic's FTW. The way to solve emissions is cleaner fuel (biodiesel) instead of dino-diesel. That's too simple for the EPA & the big-3 to figure out.
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock