Thread: Dag Blum thing gets stuck in the snow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dag Blum thing gets stuck in the snow

Got a 95 Chevy 3500 dually sitting in my driveway that has an issue with the 4WD. Took it out a couple of weeks ago, engaged the 4 high and made it about 1/2 mile then it dropped out. Turns out the 4WD fuse blew out and the replacement fuse blew immediately. Obviously a dead short somewhere.

Under about 3 feet of snow right now and crawling around underneath the truck is not high on my "want" list.

Any immediate suggestions come to mind? Anything typically to look for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Arrow

Quick and dirty (since you're crawling around under it)......

Get the front diff plug, install it in a few minutes, and deal with the selectability when the snow is gone and it warms up some. The plug forces full time diff engagement. The transfer case will still work normally, so you can get in and out of 4x4 as necessary. Info on the plug is in another recent thread.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

HERE'S the thread. Some good info on what is probably your issue, with some other solutions included.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Now all I have to do is use the plow to tow it out of the snowbank so I can get under it. Who would order a 3500 dually with two open center axles. Even with 4WD the thing is useless in the snow and now with only the rear working, it may end up being a lawn ornament till spring.

Thanks again.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Duallys are notoriously bad when it comes to traction in rain or snow. 400 lbs of sand bags over the rear axle will help. I think you have more of a traction problem than anything else. Back when I was a kid, I plowed snow for the town highway dept. We had a few Chevy dually C30 2wd mason dumps, 292 6cyl, 4sp trannys with 9ft Fisher plows on them. We would load them to the gunwales with 2-1/2 to 3yds of sand and salt and never got stuck. We would rarely have to put chains on them either. Im not saying you have to load your truck to that extreme, but some weight would help drasticly.
    1986 M1031, Banks turbo,700R4,4.56 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdozer View Post
    Duallys are notoriously bad when it comes to traction in rain or snow. 400 lbs of sand bags over the rear axle will help. I think you have more of a traction problem than anything else. Back when I was a kid, I plowed snow for the town highway dept. We had a few Chevy dually C30 2wd mason dumps, 292 6cyl, 4sp trannys with 9ft Fisher plows on them. We would load them to the gunwales with 2-1/2 to 3yds of sand and salt and never got stuck. We would rarely have to put chains on them either. Im not saying you have to load your truck to that extreme, but some weight would help drasticly.
    Truck was never meant to plow. At close to 20 feet long, it would never make a functional plow vehicle. The PO used it in south Texas to tow a fiver for a church group. My big question is why did they even want 4wd and if they foresaw a need for 4WD why didn't they at least spec a posi on the rear? Cost would have been marginal at the factory level. Checked the VIN number on Compnine and the open rear axle was actually an option and would have needed you to check off a box on the original order.

Fully agree about the weight in the back. This one currently has about 200 lbs. of snow in it and still won't move. Unloaded, most older pickups are useless in the snow, especially the long wheel base ones.

Going to pull it out today and move it into storage. Current owner won't need it till the spring so will address this issue then. Just thought there would be a quick and dirty fix to at least get it back into 4WD without having to grovel under the truck to get it out of the snowbank. Scratch that idea.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT