Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dag Blum thing gets stuck in the snow

Hea Bill, The Catskills is well north of me, real nice area. the Adirondacks is more my cup of tea. My area, ok to not that great. Rush hour traffic and the citys influence give it the not so great factor. When I retire, I want to move back upstate where I can enjoy the warmth of a tightly packed wood stove, have a decent shop to work on my junk, and be able to take a pee off my porch without my neighbors seeing me. HA!
    1986 M1031, Banks turbo,700R4,4.56 gears.

How is it going with the front dif problem? Did you go with the Posi Lock setup?
    1986 M1031, Banks turbo,700R4,4.56 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdozer View Post
    How is it going with the front dif problem? Did you go with the Posi Lock setup?
    Solved the problem. Got it unstuck and drove it over to a friends yard and parked it till the spring. Out of sight, out of mind. Bigger problem is the brakes. can't see any leaks but the rears haven't been off the truck since new. That and it seems the master is fubarred.

Got my work cut out for me once the temps get to the point that frost bite isn't an issue.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Your TLA (thermo linear actuator) probably isn't up to the task anymore.

It's a wax like plug that the truck heats up and when it expands it engages the front axle differential. It's in the front diff itself.

As it's heat activated, you can see where it probably caused problems in snow. If it's too cold or buried in snow they've been known to disconnect because they cool faster than the heater can keep up with and disconnect the front diff.

There are a couple manual options out there as well as the newer servo actuator style (my 98 has a servo, there's a retrofit kit for earlier trucks) but everything requires you to crawl under the truck and change it out.

Nothing wrong with a rat, heck of a strong and reliable engine. They're very thirsty though.

Brakes issues and another ball of wax (pun). Unfortunately, that's another area where you just have to crawl under the truck and hunt it down....if the master is bypassing though, that would sure explain crap brakes. You can try a bleed procedure first though. It will only cost you an hour of so of your time....
    1998 k2500