Thread: 2001 duramax loss of power

Default 2001 duramax loss of power

Hey guys im new on here to and i have a 2001 GMC and it has been doing the same thing and i have changed the fuel filter and had codes read and sometimes it says there is a large leak in the fuel system and last time it said bad ECM and i changed that and it still does it i have had it at 2 or 3 shops and at the dealership 7 times and no one can figure it out . it is about to drive me crazy and i am ready to get rid of the truck but i have so much money tied up in it now that it would be hard .i have had to put a new trans in it at 265000miles and had the brakes rebuilt so you see how much money i have tied up in it. i have a 2007 chezy 2500 and it is awsome i have never been in a diesel truck with as much power as what these trucks have so all the help you can give would be greatly appreciated

A number of possibilities here:

1) Injectors getting bad allowing excess return fuel (perceived as a leak by the ECM) so that the pump cannot keep up.

2) Fuel pressure regulator issues. This usually shows as a surging idle etc

3) 2001 ECM programming bugs

The phantom limp mode on these 2001's is somewhat common. I'd say this is closely related to what you are experiencing. I've done a lot of ECM programs to combat this. Bear in mind I can't fix a weak fuel system if that is the case, but I've been down this road numerous times and have yet to miss my mark.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

When the problem occurs i can pull over and turn the truck off and sit for a few seconds and start it up and it will run fine for a few minutes but it does it mostly when pulling a heavy load. would any of these issues that you mentioned act like this? I am game for trying something i am tired of taking it to shops and spending money on stuff that dont work. Is there some way for me to check the injectors and fuel preasure regulator? I have put 2 fuel preasure sensors on it with no help.

Don't know if this will help, but I had problems with my 01' when towing. The SES light would come on, the truck would power down hard and go into limp mode (2k rpm max and no power). Code set was an over boost code. Tracked problem to the intake I was running, not so much a specific mfg, just a less restrictive intake. As kennedy said there a phantom problems with the 01' programming. My dealer reflashed or upgraded to the latest program and all seems to be fixed. I never did have any fuel system codes though so I am not sure if this is the same problem. Hope this maybe helps. Shed
    01' LB7 2500 HD ext.cab, auto, 4" magnaflow, airaid intake, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, all Amsoil, Bilsteins.

In pusuit of the perfect camper pulling rig....

05'-30' Pilgrim 5th wheel

Always on the road headin for a campsite!