Thread: Blower/Fan is flaky

Default Blower/Fan is flaky

I looked through some old threads but I wasn't able to find the answer, but then maybe my searching skills aren't that good, either.

For the past few months the fan/blower has cutout once in a while while on high. If I turned it back to position 3, it was usually alright. If I rotated the switch a few times it usually returned to fully operational. Most recently, there's been a few times where it hasn't come on at all. Sometimes the "Fonzy" trick has worked, other times it would just start working again after a few minutes.

I looked around and found possibly the resistor to be the most likely cause? AllData says to "roll back the instrument panel" to access it. But it appears the resistor is located on top of the blower, or just a bit to left of it. How do you get to it and is there a way to test it?

Before I start digging into the dash, what are anyone's thoughts? Resistor most likely? Maybe the switch?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Dennis, I had the same problem and replaced the switch a few times until I realized it was the connector to the switch that was at fault. Seems the Brown wire had a loose conection and got hot. I discovered it by twisting the connector while the switch was in the High Position.I have not replaced it as of yet but it is available on Rock.
    Hope this was a help
    Dave
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.

Dave, are you saying that a wire was loose (inside it's connector) on the backside of the switch assembly? Certainly sounds easy enough to check.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Yes, and when I went to salvage a conector from a Yukon a friend of mine was Junking I found the same thing was wrong with it! Must be common!
    Dave
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.

Great, thank you, Dave! I'll check that out.