Thread: Check Engine Oil Level Message

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

I've had the computer message "check engine oil level" come up on three different times the last couple of days. The oil level is fine (full). I check the oil and the light goes out. Started and stopped the truck 3-4 times doing short errands yesterday and it came back on again. Check the oil and it goes out. Did the same thing on me the day before. What in the h-ll?

I have all of the computer updates.

Has anyone else had this happen yet?

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
    jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
    LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
    ------------------------------------------------
    Beltronics 980 Radar Detector

Turbo Al Guest

Unhappy

Mine does this as well and it doesn't use or leak oil in any way shape or form. I just check the pressure gauge and keep driving.
    There is suppose to be an update for this but mine has only been in shop once for work and thought I would wait until I had a couple of things to update. One thing I did do that stopped it for a while was unplug the sensor (on bottom of oil pan) clean connection and put back on.
    It is annoying to say the least ESP. with something as important as oil pressure/level.

I had this problem. It was broken connector on the sensor on the oil pan. Fixed with a plastic tie until new wiring harness arrives. The connector is molded onto the harness.

Yep, mine did the same thing starting at about 1,000 miles. I took it in mid October and the dealer said it was a softwear issue. The update was supposed to be available mid November, but it quit so I didn't take it back. Now with 15,000 it has started again intermitantly.
    Herb

------------------
    2001 SLT DM/Allison CC 4X4 SB White/Charcoal

Mine seems to do it about 500 km's before an oil change is due. I check the level, but all is fine. So I add about 1/2 Litre just to see if it makes a difference, and the light does go out. I then don't have a problem until the next oil change is due. I will ahve the dealer take a look and see if its a sensor problem. Maybe it is set too high, and if you loose just a touch, then it goes off. I dont know.

------------------
    GMC 3500 4X4 cc SLT Dmax/Allison - The BEST truck out there!
    Pictures of truck:
    http://www.geocities.com/cowboy_2222ca/duramax1.html

New PICS Without SNOW!
    http://www.geocities.com/cowboy7777ca/duramax.html

Anyone know if there is a service bulletin out for this?

My "check engine oil level" message came on for the first time tonight. 32,500 miles.

Sure enough, I added 2 quarts to get to the second mark from the bottom to show oil. Going to the dealer tomorrow for oil change and other minor issues.

Where can I find a copy of the recall letter about the brake fluid wire thing. The last time I had it in they didn't have the part, and now I can't find the letter.

I also have some interior glue problems that need fixed before the warranty is gone. Headliner is coming loose in one place and a few other minor things.

------------------
    2K1 2500HD CC D/A 4X4

Okla,

They don't need a part to do the brake light recall. It is simply moving some terminals to different cavities in a connector under the hood.

Angry

the one and only time my light came on- my truck was almost outta oil- had the 3k service done, idiot snapped my o-ring on the plug- little by little the oil dripped out- didn't notice till just before the light came on- oil not even registering on the dipstick- THANK YOU MR PARTS MAN WANNA BE MECHANIC!! other than that one time- no light for us-

Brandy

Turbo Al Guest

Red face

I have just put my truck in for this problem and the Teck is still trying to find out what the problem is (I have the truck back). He says it's not a sofeware problem because the "cluster" is not programable. He also said it should not come on untill you are 1 1/2 to 2 quarts low on oil. Mine stays on pretty much all the time now when the truck is warmed up.

I have noticed that if I don't wait for the glow plug light to go off that I will get the low oil alert message fairly often. I never get it when I wait for the glow plug light to go out.
    2001 Chevrolet extended cab, 2500, 4 wheel drive, Duramax, Allison