Thread: Update

Default Update

As I mentioned in another thread, my Suburban was totaled in June of 2015 along with my travel trailer. My middle son was driving and we were in a construction area just east of Greenville, IL on I-70. We came up over a rise and traffic was stopped dead in the only lane available. My son evaded the car in front of us, but we went down over an embankment, jackknifed and rolled over.

No one was hurt, but the Suburban was messed up pretty badly as was the trailer.

I was out of business for over a year until I found a 2000 Chevy K3500 Crew Cab Long Bed DRW in Lake City, FL on Craigslist.

The ad read:

2000 Chevy K3500 dually 4X4, 6.5 turbo diesel, crew cab, LWB. The truck has many upgrades and new parts transmission, turbo, inj. pump, brakes, 4"
    exhaust, tires and much more, but it is not running at this time I have invested over $10K into this truck and just don't have time for it. If you know 6.5 turbo diesel or know someone who does this is a great deal.

He was asking $4500 for it. Here's one of the pictures that he sent me.

He said that he hadn't driven it regularly in about 8 years and that it hadn't run at all for about a year. He put a modified GM8 turbo on it, supposed to have a different compressor wheel (seems to be a gimmick to me), an SS Diesel tune, a crappy aftermarket air filter arrangement with no provision for the CDR connection (it made an oily mess under the hood, which led to his next problem).

He told me that after the mods, it would start to run fine, then stumble and surge and do that until you back out of the pedal. To clean up the oily mess, he used a pressure washer...it wouldn't start after that. He said that he had three or four "Diesel mechanics" work on it, but none could figure out what was wrong.

From his description, I thought I had a pretty good idea and started negotiating.

We ended up settling on $3750 for the sale price. I arranged to go down there with my 1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 L pickup and utility trailer -- with the intention of driving the K3500 back with the K1500 on the trailer. This was September 15, 2016.

It seems that the SS Diesel tune asked for more boost, but didn't handle it properly on the diagnostic side. It was setting a P0236 code and pulling fuel to lower the boost. That's what I thought was going on from his description, but I had to get it running first to confirm.

When I got there, he was away. I called and he said he would be there in about 15 minutes. I looked the truck over and saw that he had a battery charger on it. It was still too low to crank when he got there. We exchanged pleasantries, exchanged money and title to complete the sale. He looked at me and asked, "Are you going to try to get it running?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you think you will drive it home?" I said, "The thought crossed my mind." He had to go back to work, but told me to call him if I got it running and to stay as long as I needed to.

Fifteen minutes after he left, the batteries were strong enough to crank.

I cracked the nut on the #1 injector line, cranked, and found no fuel. Checked the filter bleeder with the key on, fuel coming out fine. OK. Pressure washer, so check connections. Hmm... Nothing obvious. Hmm... Bump the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid -- it's a little loose. Had a 3/4" wrench in my hand for the fuel line nut... whack the solenoid once... crank and it fires.

I texted him, "It's running." Bam, phone rings, "You got it running that quickly?!" "Yup."

A Kennedy Diesel boost fooler took care of the code until I got back and got a Kennedy tune for it. I had John disable the P0236 diagnostic test so the code would no longer set. My turbo makes about 28 psi boost when towing heavy.

It took me a couple of hours to get it movable (blown brake light fuse, etc.) and to get the trailer unhooked from the 95 and hooked to the 2000. I noticed the transmission slip in reverse when I backed up to the trailer. I still needed to wire in a brake controller and do some other stuff before the trip back, but I didn't want to stay there much longer. As I was pulling out of his driveway, he came rolling up and flagged me down. He wanted to talk (for nearly an hour) about how I got the truck running when none of his mechanics could. He was actually very happy to see it running again as he said he really liked the truck.

I went straight to an AutoZone and bought a factory air filter (he had the stock air box and sent it with me) so that I could hook up the CDR properly, charge the air conditioner in their parking lot and did a few other things. At this point it was getting dark and I had only had about 4 hrs sleep on the way down. I found a truck stop about 30 miles away that was accessible by back roads. I hadn't eaten anything since about 8 am, so I hit a restaurant on the way and took this picture:

I eased it to the truck stop and arrived at about 10:00 pm. I slept in the truck until about 6 am. I ended up working on it for about 4 hrs at the truck stop to get fully road worthy for the trip home. Brake controller, found an inside dual flat, this, that and the other thing.

On the way around Macon on I-475, the radiator ruptured. I was able to roll in to the Northbound rest area. Got on my phone, found an AutoZone about 30 miles back that had a radiator in stock. Unloaded the 95, went and got the radiator, replaced it in the rest area, loaded the 95 back up, headed for home again. Lost about 4 hrs.

By the time I got home, reverse was pretty well gone.

I put the engine and transmission out of my Suburban in the truck in October 2016. I just put it back in last week with a new set of P400 heads as I described in the other thread.

The previous picture was from June of 2017. That is one of the Mercedes powered Sprinter vans that I worked on last year going back to its owner.

I like this truck. I'm still working out some kinks and bugs, but hopefully with the new heads I won't have any more problems for a while. I don't like the rims. I will probably put stock rims on it at some point. I don't like the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels. That will get remedied at some point as well.

Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in what I've been up to. This was after recovering from a badly broken arm requiring surgery to repair then blood clots in both lungs in late 2015. That laid me up for about six months. 2015 was kind of a rough year.

Very glad to hear that you and your son were ok from the accident.

Congrats on the new truck! Looks like it will serve you well!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Glad to have ya back Ron.

Sorry to hear about the health issues, these really suck for sure.

Great score on the Dahooooley truck..
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Nasty break for sure Ron. That was from the wreck?
    Way to score on the new truck too!
    Glad to see you back in TDP fold also.
    Dave (in Fort Wayne)
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    Nasty break for sure Ron. That was from the wreck?
    No, the wreck happened in late June. On November 14 I was repairing the roof of my barn. I was completely finished. As I was headed back down the roof to the ladder, a board gave way and I fell through the roof more than 15 ft. to the ground. Just missed a floor jack with the handle sticking straight up, a push mower and other stuff. It's amazing how that all happened in slow motion. When I felt the board let go, I literally had time to think, "This isn't good." On the way down, I remember glancing around the barn and seeing stuff that I hoped I wouldn't hit. The first contact with the ground was with my right foot and leg. I literally remember thinking, "That wasn't so bad." Then I put by forearm out to catch myself. When it hit the ground, it was like somebody rang a huge gong in my head. I immediately saw checkers and stars and thought, "Now that hurt!". My first instinct was to get up. Since I was lying on my right side, I rolled up to my butt and tired to push off with my right arm. There was nothing there and I fell back over. The problem is, I did this twice before I thought to look at my arm. It was twisted around with a strange right angle bend between my elbow and shoulder. I thought, "I broke my arm!". My wife was in Lafayette, IN visiting my daughter that day, so I was home alone. My phone was in my truck outside and behind the barn. I gathered myself up (had to carry my arm) and walked a couple hundred yards to my truck (the red one), laid the ladder down and drove myself to the house. I could tell that I was going into shock, so I called my mom and she came out to take me to the hospital. While waiting for my mom to get here, I called my wife. I said, "What are you doing this evening?" She said, "We're going to dinner with Amanda and some of her friends." I said, "Well, I think you might want to head back this way. I think I broke my arm pretty badly and will probably need surgery." She aborted her plans and started heading home. Lafayette is about 90 miles from here.

On November 17, I had surgery to have some hardware added. Spent a night in the hospital.

On November 30, after having the best day since the accident, I woke up at 2 am with excruciating chest pain. I didn't wake my wife but tried to deal with it downstairs in the recliner. By 6 am when my wife woke up, the pain had spread to my left shoulder as well. She finally convinced me to go to the hospital at about 10 am. We went to the hospital in Indianapolis where the surgery was done. By the time we got there, I could barely breath. They thought I was having a heart attack and started all the protocols. When the EKG showed normal rhythm, I was afraid that I had been a wimp and wasted a trip. A CT scan, though, showed multiple blood clots in both lungs. They blamed it on the trauma from the broken arm and major surgery. I spent 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital for that.

These two episodes were the first time in my life that I had been in the hospital over night. Fifty years nothing, then twice in two weeks.

I still have rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder that didn't get fixed right. I'm supposed to have another surgery, but I've been putting it off because I don't like being an invalid. I still have pain in my chest where the initial pain was from the clots. They say it's damaged tissue from oxygen deprivation because of the clots.

Oh, well.
    Last edited by ronniejoe; 01-08-2018 at 13:59.

Me thinks ya should buy a lottery ticket as well.....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

The fall is not the bad part at all.

The Superman float down is a piece of cake.

I recently had to work on several of the lights in the horse arena and they are 18 feet off the deck

We have always used the bucket on the skid steer to access these suckers, but now after 5 strokes and the kidney cancer thing I decided that a safety harness was in order.

$183.00 well spent me thinks.

I got a lanyard that snaps nicely onto the D ring on the back of the bucket..

Years ago I came out of the bucket once and landed in the groomed dirt... no worries, but that was nearly 20 years ago... Not interested in that stuff..

Ron.. so glad you are OK
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Wow Ron! What a story. I'm so glad you survived so well. I'm sure I speak for the rest of us here. We are glad you are back with us and doing better. Don't be a stranger!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Wow! Sorry you had to go through all that. Glad you are doing okay. I have a friend who just fell and broke his lower arm in 3 places after his 10' ladder gave way from under him, so he's waiting for surgery for sometime this week.

Sorry to see the 'burb was destroyed, but I love the story of how you obtained the K3500!

Really glad to have you back here at TDP. We have missed your knowledge and experience.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Ouch!

As an Architect, I’ve been on any number of building roofs (and floors) that were sketchy. Fortunately, I’ve always been able to back off of areas that turned spongy before going through - dumb luck more than anything. Every time I tell myself I have to be more careful about such things.

A few years ago I managed to drop a loader bucket on my foot. I had gone out to the shop for a box of stuff and set it down on the loader bucket to close the door. The (detached) bucket was tilted up against the block wall so it wouldn't collect water. When I picked up the box, I dislodged the bucket but couldn’t see what was happening because of the big box I was carrying. All I knew was something brushed my shin and then there was blinding pain in my foot. Like you, I was alone. Nearly passed out when it happened, sat there until my head cleared, tried to get up and put weight on the foot, and nearly passed out again. Had to crawl up to the house and call my parents (in their 70s) to come take me to the ER. Again, I told myself I need to be better about carrying a cell phone and to not do stupid things when nobody else was around.

Glad you (we) survived your (our) situations. Hopefully we’ll learn from them!
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Glad you're doing better. Per your OP, I wish I lived closer to you. That was some impressive roadside repair work. I need a 'subject matter expert' to help me work out the bugs on my '92 MFI.
    DP member #38 1992 Chev K2500 RPO C6P 6.5TD 150K miles
    2014 John Deere 1025R

As a follow up to the health issues that I mentioned in this thread, on February 10th of this year, I was helping my middle son and his new wife move to Colorado Springs, CO. I was driving the U-Haul and he and his wife were following in his car.

As we approached St. Louis on I-70, we ran into an ice storm. It was getting late, so we decided to stop for the night in St. Charles, MO (northern suburb of St. Louis) at a Motel 6. The next morning (Feb. 11), I was walking out to the U-Haul carrying my duffel bag and laptop while my son took care of the bill. Stepped off the sidewalk onto the parking lot without thinking. First step with my left foot was fine. Second step with my right foot didn't go so well. It took off and I started to go down backwards. I tried to catch myself by flexing my left quadriceps... POP! Man, that hurt! I knew right then that I had torn a muscle. I managed to get back to my feet and hobble over to the U-Haul. Had trouble getting in, but managed. Sat there for a few minutes, then called my son on the cell phone and told him he better come over here.

He helped me get my leg the rest of the way into the truck. I tried to go ahead and drive but after about 8 miles I called him and said I didn't think I ought to get any further from home. We found a hospital to get checked out.

They really didn't do anything but give me some pain medicine and crutches. Called my wife and told her to start heading for St. Louis to get me. We then went to a Denny's to eat and kill some time, then my son and his wife left to head on out to their new home while I waited for my wife to retrieve me.

Saw a surgeon on Tuesday 2/13. The MRI showed that the quad was torn.
    He scheduled me for surgery on 2/19 and put me in a splint. Had surgery on 2/19. He said it was the worst tear that he had ever seen. I was in physical therapy until about three weeks ago. I can walk and get around OK now, but the leg is still not back where it should be.

Two disasters in a row trying to travel out I-70. Make it three.

On July 5 of this year, my wife and I headed for Colorado Springs to visit my son and his wife. We left just after midnight and I drove out into Missouri. My wife took over just after daybreak so that I could get some sleep. We were driving our 2006 Impala. Just over the Kansas state line, I was awakened by a load thump. I looked at my wife and said, "What was that?" She said, "I don't know, but I can't steer!". The steering wheel had decoupled from the wheels! She asked, "What should I do?" I said, "Well, start applying some break gently and see where this goes." We were able to drift off the left side of the highway (no control whatsoever) which is three lanes wide there and stop next to the Jersey barrier. I got out and crawled under it (barely) but couldn't see anything. She said she ran over something on the road.

There wasn't even a full lane width of shoulder there and it was pretty dangerous with the traffic. Had to bite the bullet and call a tow truck. Next, I had to really bite the bullet and call a mechanic to see if we could get fixed. That hurt. I hate having anyone else work on my stuff. Found a mechanic, and got dropped off there. It was about 9 am local time.

Whatever we hit on the highway busted the housing on the rack and pinion unit.

Twelve hours later, we were able to continue on our trip.

I-70 westbound has been rather difficult over the last three years...

I think you can use my grandfather's phrase. He used to say that if it weren't for bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

Sorry to hear about the leg and thankful to hear that the rack and pinion issue didn't do more than lighten your wallet.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Sorry to hear about the leg and thankful to hear that the rack and pinion issue didn't do more than lighten your wallet.
    Thanks. Yes, things could have been significantly worse. Jesus was looking out for us, I have no doubt. It's a very scary feeling to be going 70 mph on an interstate in city limits and find that you have no steering -- at all. My wife handled it very well, but she didn't drive anymore on that trip.

Crap !!! at least that's what I would have done LOL...

Glad you all are OK, might need to take the long way next time ie I-80...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

So sorry to hear of the issues..RJ

Glad you are mending.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Ronniejoe, glad to hear you are on the mend. As we get older it takes longer to recover. Don't over due it. I am getting to the point where it takes a few days to recover after working on the diesel. Surgery take longer also. Hang in there, the worst is over! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK
    1995 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD>>SOL-D (parts car)
    1999 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 454 "Gas Hog" with Hiniker C-Plow

Quote Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
    Crap !!! at least that's what I would have done LOL...
    Yep. First you say it and then you do it!
    Diesel Page Member #2423