Thread: Another good old Blue / White smoke thread.

Default Another good old Blue / White smoke thread.

I have recently acquired a 1988 K3500 from a "local". Truck has records of a top-end rebuild that I haven't verified yet, but the transmission rebuild checked out, as did the re-gear so I am optomistic.

After changing the oil the truck seems to smoke more than before. I am using Rotella T4 15w40 and have been using a 50/50 mix (8ozs.) per fill up (20 gals.) of Power Service Diesel Kleen w/ cetane boost (grey bottle) and Supertech 2-cycle TC-W3.

The truck has been using 1 qt of oil every 600-800 miles depending on if the truck is loaded or not. I tried some Lucas oil conditioner (I thought valve guides) and it seems to have helped a lot.

After reading numerous threads I checked the pump timing (position) and came up with the pics below, I also checked for blowby and it seemed non existant. Injectors are an unknown, could be original with 142k on them. It was a military truck at the start of its life.

Blow by check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXBY6cVIi68

Will upload start up smoke vid when I get home.

I was wondering if the pump needs advancing, will that cause it to burn oil?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Could be the Rotella.
    I have an engine that doesn't like it,or should say does like it and i had to add oil contentiously till i switched oil brands.Then the use pretty much stopped
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Could be the Rotella.
    I have an engine that doesn't like it,or should say does like it and i had to add oil contentiously till i switched oil brands.Then the use pretty much stopped
    Hmmm, will try Delo 400 when I change it next weekend, see if that helps.

Thanks for the input.