Thread: '05 P**** S***** equipped w/ an Allison trans??

Talked to a guy (04/03/05) who recently bought a '05 P**** S***** to tow a 33' fiver (claimed he was a professional trucker) Said a friend who was retiring from F**D ordered him an F250 w/ an Allison 5 speed automatic in it on the Q.T.------ said if he couldn't have gotten the Allison, he wouldn't have bought it! Anyone hear of anything like this? I thought GM had the lock on Allison transmissions?
    2004.5 GMC 3500 SLT (All options) D/A SRW CC LB 4WD, Reese 20k fifth wheel hitch and Prodigy brake controller, factory toneau cover, Rhino liner, polished Aluminum wheels, Rotella T 5w40 synthetic. Banks Six-Gun bundle w/ Speed loader, Monster exhaust and pillar post guages.

Thumbs down

Hogwash. Ford didn't put it in, if he has one. If it came from the Ford factory, it's a torqueshift tranny, which is a poor Ford knockoff of the Allison. Either he's pulling your leg, or someone pulled his.

BTW:
    You don't have to ******** around here. We are adults, afterall.

eracers999 Guest

Doubble Hogwash. He will be in the tranny shop before he knows it. At that point, someone will probobly tell him he has no allison.

Kent

I heard the same rumor from a GMC rep. a couple weeks ago. He told me that someone told him Ford was going with the Allison in 05 but I haven't heard anything to confirm it.

I searched Ford's website and press releases and found no mention of an Allison trans.
    Member #4883
    My diesels
    97 Chevy C-3500 Dually, 6.5TD
    85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A
    85 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.2 N/A
    85 Surburban 2500 4x4 6.2 N/A
    83 Chevy G-30 Van 6.2 N/A

First of all, We've all seen dozens of posts with the *s in place of the brand names, etc. I supposed it was some kind of unwritten rule, inside joke or BB protocol to frame it that way. Secondly, I thought this was a BB where ideas could be exchanged, even extreme ones. I realize how outlandish it is for a Power Stroke to be wearing an Allison, but anything is possible in this industry. If by any chance it's true, I thought the old salts might know of it or want to. The man obviously saw the incredulous look on my face when he said it, as he immediately said: "I drive trucks for a living, so I know Allison...['s reputation]...transmissions. Said truck was 20 feet away and before I could get a look, my 2yr old grandson demanded my full attention, then my wife and daughter wanted to leave the RV park. Needless to say, I sorely missed being able to look (inspect) that new truck and as friendly, knowledgeable and sincere as he was, I'm sure he would have allowed it. I hope to run into him again as we're both members of the same private RV park. I'd be willing to discuss this matter with you further in private; just give me your email.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 SLT (All options) D/A SRW CC LB 4WD, Reese 20k fifth wheel hitch and Prodigy brake controller, factory toneau cover, Rhino liner, polished Aluminum wheels, Rotella T 5w40 synthetic. Banks Six-Gun bundle w/ Speed loader, Monster exhaust and pillar post guages.

Originally posted by David A. Freeman:
    First of all, We've all seen dozens of posts with the *s in place of the brand names, etc. I supposed it was some kind of unwritten rule, inside joke or BB protocol to frame it that way. Secondly, I thought this was a BB where ideas could be exchanged, even extreme ones. I realize how outlandish it is for a Power Stroke to be wearing an Allison, but anything is possible in this industry. If by any chance it's true, I thought the old salts might know of it or want to. The man obviously saw the incredulous look on my face when he said it, as he immediately said: "I drive trucks for a living, so I know Allison...['s reputation]...transmissions. Said truck was 20 feet away and before I could get a look, my 2yr old grandson demanded my full attention, then my wife and daughter wanted to leave the RV park. Needless to say, I sorely missed being able to look (inspect) that new truck and as friendly, knowledgeable and sincere as he was, I'm sure he would have allowed it. I hope to run into him again as we're both members of the same private RV park. I'd be willing to discuss this matter with you further in private; just give me your email.
    No problem with this in the open forum. New discussion is a good thing, even if it's "off the wall". I doubt any hurt feelings will come of anything in this thread.

I still say hogwash. If he did in fact have an Allison tranny in his truck, it didn't come from Ford that way. No way. No how. The electronics alone would be a total nightmare, not to mention the bolt patterns don't match. An allison 545 would work, as they are used widely with the previous 7.3L (T444E Navistar), and IIRC, the 6.0 has the same bolt pattern. Problem is, the 545 would limit the 6.0's output considerably, as it's not rated to handle the power, and no TCC. The 545's fall on their face at around 210 HP, and have problems maintaining temps under moderate conditions. There are upgraded models, but not at all practical for pickup use. If he somehow got one, he probably paid half the cost of his truck for it.

I didn't mean anything by the ** remark. Casual advice only. It's something that's been carried over to here from "other" BB's that have a lesser understanding of maturity and open mindedness. Use them if you like. I'm just saying we are beyond that, as a whole.

I have heard this as well, and not sure I believe. A frind of mine who owns a catapilliar diesel store was the one who told me, he said the torqe shift was an allison but ford was not allowed to use the "allison" name. I think he's a reliable sourse but still have doughts

Arrow

I know someone who just recently installed a Ford TorqueShift torque converter in his 4R100. With only slight mods, it fit and performs well behind the 7.3L PSD. This is becoming (I'm told) a popular upgrade for 4R100 owners.

Except for finning (structural reinforcement) on the outside of the case, a TS and a 4R100 appear to be siblings. Definitely not an Allison.

MP

A quote from the Ford web page when I did a search for Allison;

"Fordvehicles.com is your online source for information on our line of cars, trucks and SUV's. We realize that even the best web site design can present a navigational challenge to finding your way around a large and comprehensive site. So we've put together this Help section to assist you in learning about the Ford you're looking for.

Sorry, we don't have an answer for your question.

You Asked: allison

It's possible that we didn't understand your question.
    Make sure your query is in the form of a question and
    that everything is spelled correctly. Then try again.
    Our knowledge base gets smarter every time someone
    asks a question. If we are unable to answer your question
    at this time, please Ask Ford again later when we are better
    prepared with more information."

I own a 04 ford superduty 6.0 and can tell you first hand that there is NOT an allison in these trucks!It is a tourqshift period!!!let these fools tell you anything they want.Although I have not had any problems we could only wish to have the mighty ALLISON.
    2003 GMC K2500HD 4x4 EC/SB DURAMAX/ALLISON Boss 8.2 pro-v JL Audio subs PPI amp LT265/75/16/BFG Rugged Trails on 16/8 ARE23 wheels(SOLD)NEW TRUCK 04 FORD F250 CREWCAB LARIET 4X4 6.0/TOURQUESHIFT

madmatt Guest

One of my former Co. field service trucks had the 6.0L/ torqshift combo in it. It ran great....untill I got my equipment in it and and was dressed out in the utility topper. The forth tranny finally held. We would have had it bought back but Ford was only willing to give us what we paid for the truck. after we had it all "stickered" up and our equipment installed it would have been a serious loss on our part to have another truck done up.

We have several 6.0/Torqshifts at work and they have held up well so far. We have several one ton dually's with utility beds that pull 13k backhoe and 10k ditchers around. The most miles per truck is 75,000.

I have read that they had a bit of a crisis on the 05 models with planetary gear pins backing out and wrecking the transmission. A friend of mine had that happen to his new 05 at 5000 miles. He then had to wait for almost a month to get the trans. He was very, very unhappy.

I went into a stop & go one Sunday morning and was asked by a fellow in a Ford Explorer how I liked my new GMC. So I told him my love story with GM trucks and the he said he had just bought a new Ford 6.0 automatic, and I asked him how he liked it?
    He said it had less than 5000 miles and it was down the street at the Ford shop. Transmission had a snap ring go, and somehow a hole appeared in the case and the fluid was lost. They told him it was from plowing snow! He said it came from them equiped with the plow!! Then he said rumor had it that many had the same problem. So I guess you should watch when you buy a new product just out. Wait a year or so until that product is proven.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

rjschoolcraft Guest

Allison has explored (for the last three years) the possibility of selling the 1000 series trans to Ford and Dodge for use in their trucks. GM management has, so far, said no in order to maintain the market advantage for the HD truck line. It is possible, that Allison divisional management finally won out...it is a down year for GM and increasing sales of transmissions will help the bottom line.

Its kind of strange, that Allison sells to the World in the medium/heavy duty lines. We get all brands of trucks, Ford 750's w/Cat/Allison, Freightliners w/Mercedes/Allison, Internationals w/6.0/Allison, Sterlings w/5.9 Cummins/Allison,and on and on. I'm surprised that D/Benz hasn't put there Diesel with an Allison in the Dodge pickups. Benz is a big company with some political pull. There engines seem to be working real well, and are now being accepted by the medium/heavy truck buyers without much question. Time will tell I guess.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs