Thread: Cylinder Head Temp Sender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is there any place where I could put a cylinder head temp sender that is already drilled and tapped? If not what is the best way to go about this job?
    1985 GMC Suburban 3/4T 4x4 Sierra Classic<BR> Mods: Banks Turbo, Propane Injection, Real HID Headlights, Milemarker Winch, 2.5 Pro Comp Lift, BFG 33\'s.

I first used the plate that is bolted on to the passengers side head to block the rear water passage.
    I welded a 1/8 NPT nipple on there and put a VDO temp sensor in it. But the temperature never got above 150 F over there. I checked it with an infrared temperature meter.
    I wasn't really satisfied with those low temps on my gauge. So then I drilled a hole in the water crossover, in a thicker part near where the heater hose is connected, tapped 1/8 NPT thread in it and put the temp sensor in. This works out better, and gives me more acurate coolant temperatures.
    85\' K30 ex army 6.2l

I removed the factory temp sending unit and replaced it with the probe for a mechanical gauge. I also installed the gauge in my dash where the factory temp gauge used to be.

Later, when I installed the dual t-stat crossover it had a port for my temp gauge.
    1983 K5 Blazer, bored 6.2, 4911, 6.5TD heads and injectors, Gear drive, Banks system, Dual t-stats w/ high flow water pump, D60, 14BFF, Rear Disks, 4.10s, 37\" Swampers, Warn M8274-50, Bad paint and almost no interior

mhagie Guest

On mine I installed the sender for my digital gauge in the stock location in left head,removed heater hose connector from crossover added a close nipple and a tee,reinstalled original factory sender here so at least the factory gauge moves............Merle

I have two gauges. I have an Isspro sender in the normal location (left front head) and I put the OEM sender in the top of the right rear head using a plate from the the old-style glow controller and a bushing. I found that if I burp the sending unit on top of the head to get the air out my OEM gauge will read normal. If not it rides in an air pocket and doesn't move much.
    Randy
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Are you talking about a Cylinder Head Temp gauge or a Coolant Temp gauge? They are two completely differeny things.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

That was just going to be my reply. I think everyone has been talking about coolant temp gauges and I was wondering about cylinder head temp.
    1985 GMC Suburban 3/4T 4x4 Sierra Classic<BR> Mods: Banks Turbo, Propane Injection, Real HID Headlights, Milemarker Winch, 2.5 Pro Comp Lift, BFG 33\'s.

Typically the senders for those are a ring that is threaded onto a spark plug, then the spark plug is installed into the head. I'm not sure where you would do this with a diesel. Glow plug maybe?

Why cylinder head temp?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...