Thread: Oil in the cooler

Hi,I'm new to the forum and this may have been posted before, but here goes.
    I have the 04.5 3500 with 15k miles. I had been getting lousy mileage as compared to a couple friends with the same truck. To make a long story short. The truck smokes when I accelerate, I took the truck into a Dealer about the mileage and they told me that the fuel filter needed replacing, so I replaced it last Thur. nite, I took the rubber boot off that goes to the cooler and found oil inside. The diesel mechanic said that oil in this location was "normal" and quoted a service bulletin. Does anyone else have this "normal" problem or know anything about it.
    Thanks, Will

madmatt Guest

Yep, normal on account of the closed crankcase vent system. here the bulletin# and an line from the bulletin....

Turbo Charge Air Cooler Hose Oil Seepage or Becomes Dislodged on Acceleration - keywords 6.6 black boost charge clamp cool intake LBZ LLY low noise pipe power smoke surge whistle #PIP3068C - (Nov 7, 2005)

Due to the closed PCV system on the 6.6 LLY engine it is normal to have oil residue in the air charge cooler hoses and pipes.
    The oil will migrate to the lower areas of the air charge cooler system and may cause customer concerns of oil seepage.

Thumbs up

Has the MPG been like that sence new or did it just start i had the SAME prob. and the dealer said the the same thing but he also just for the heck of it checked the injectors and foung one bad injector, that fixed it back up to 19.5 to 20 hwy. Thats my 2-cents
    2005 GMC 2500 4x4 Duramax/Allson, AFE Stage-2 air & Intake, 4" cat back exhaust. 1982 chevy 4x4,73 chevy 4x4